Build Advice Will this build run Baldurs Gate 3 ?

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
Yes, I know it's a strange game to base a system build on. ;) The backstory, my kids laptop could no longer run BG3. After a few game updates it has horrible micro stutters. I did the normal troubleshooting for a while without any luck. So she's asked me to build her a gaming rig.

She needs everything including a monitor. I thought I would have to go with a 1080p build at first to stay within her budget but after a lot of research I believe I can do a 1440p build. It just need it to run BG3 and all current games at mid to ultra graphic level on a 1440p monitor with a bit of future proofing. She doesn't play fast FPS games and isn't as picky as her dad when it comes to graphic quality. She mostly plays RPGs like BG3, Dragon Age and sim like games so it doesn't need an expensive graphics card or the latest and greatest processor, IMHO.

We will be going to Microcenter to pick up most of the parts. I'm not going to list every part or make. Just the components that matter the most.

Current consideration:

Microcenter Bundle : Ryzen 7 5800X3D/ASUS TUF B550 Plus Wifi II DDR4/G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200 ($350)

- XFX Radeon 6700XT 12GB video card (already purchased from another source. It can be returned if it will not cut the mustard but even reviews on this site indicate it "should".)
- 750W Gold PS (most likely a Corsair)
- 1 to 2tb storage. Will add more space later if needed.
- Dell Monitor- Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p 165hz curved monitor

Will that build do the job? Or, can I save money by not bundling and buying the parts separately, for example buying a slower cheaper processor and MB. If it helps, I'm not a fanboy of either Intel/AMD/NVidia. I've always bought what will do the job at the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This build should handle BG3 without issue. I am not sure about 'highest settings" @1440 unless you use some of the upscaling or such tech.

I will have to look to double check, but my system is based in 11900K and a 7800XT and gets EDIT- 114 FPS with the settings at max, 1440, and no upscaling or such on.

I just built up a spare parts system based in a 3770 and 970 and with FSR on it does a nice job of 60+ FPS @ 1080.

Total aside, BG3 is IMO the best game to come out in years. Super fun, so many different options and outcomes for gameplay...

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think this will do just fine. Maybe consider getting a DDR4 3600 CL16 or lower kit rather than 3200. Ryzen does like its bandwidth.

RM750e is the go to budget ATX 3.0 PSU. I have heard it can be a little loud though.

Reactions: Samduhman

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally I've been pointing people to Thermaltake GF3 TT units. Not actually sure what Microcenter is carrying, but their pricing is usually equal or worse than other e-tailers on a lot of the other hardware they carry.

They have a lot of awesome specials to get you in the door, but keep in mind you are paying for traveling there. Nice to have a place to return a defective product though.

Most recently price matched them to Best Buy, their list price $125, going rate $80. Just a mouse though.

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually made an impulse purchase for my system last summer. I picked up the Corsair RM750e for my CPU/MB/GPU upgrade. My first time using a Corsair PS. It's been solid so far running my i5-13600k/64GB mem/Asus TUF 4070ti and half dozen or so storage devices, including mechanicals.

My system is pretty quiet since replacing the stock case fans last month. I haven't noticed any more PS noise over the EVGA 750w it replaced.

Phanteks Eclipse P400 case (I've been using it for a few years)
New case fans: ARTIC P12 PWM PST 5 pack

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually made an impulse purchase for my system last summer. I picked up the Corsair RM750e for my CPU/MB/GPU upgrade. My first time using a Corsair PS. It's been solid so far running my i5-13600k/64GB mem/Asus TUF 4070ti and half dozen or so storage devices, including mechanicals.

My system is pretty quiet since replacing the stock case fans last month. I haven't noticed any more PS noise over the EVGA 750w it replaced.

Phanteks Eclipse P400 case (I've been using it for a few years)
New case fans: ARTIC P12 PWM PST 5 pack

Among my first decent cases were a P400. You didn't specify the "A" (airflow) version, but if you still have the stock solid front purchasing the mesh one makes a world of difference for temps in that case.

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
Among my first decent cases were a P400. You didn't specify the "A" (airflow) version, but if you still have the stock solid front purchasing the mesh one makes a world of difference for temps in that case.
SWEET!!, I didn't know they sold a mesh replacement. TY and ORDERED! Yes, I do have the solid front panel. My system has been running hot when playing games since I upgraded to the I5-13600k and 4070ti. The ARCTIC case fans have already helped some with the temp issue and the MESH front panel should get the temps to where they should be!

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
I think I'm just about there on the components for the build. We're not going to Microcenter for 2 more weeks so there's plenty of time to change it up and also keep an eye out for better deals on parts.

Eximo, I haven't looked at Thermaltake PS's in ages but they are definitely worth considering if I can save her a few bucks. Microcenter does run on the higher side for their power supplies and GPUs.

What do you all think about the Thermalright Peerless Assassin CPU cooler for the build? The price is right but its so big and bulky. Is it overkill for this build? Any alternative suggestions for a single fan/heatsink cooler. It needs to be white to go with her "color" selection. ;)

If you really want an all white PC, Microcenter bundle deals might not be the best option.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1393.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-08 06:06 EST-0500

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016

If you really want an all white PC, Microcenter bundle deals might not be the best option.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1393.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-08 06:06 EST-0500

To be honest the color coordination was from me to keep it from being an eye soar. I don't think she has thought that far ahead as she's never built a system. Shes just concerned about the case being pink to match her pink peripherals.

That's a really nice build. You have me rethinking this whole project.... The price point is perfect but it doesn't include a monitor... I need to do some thinking on this. Update: I thought about it, the 4070 super is a deal breaker. I'd like the keep the GPU around $300 to $400 and by doing this we can afford a monitor for around $300 to $400.....

and also, I'm tired of AMD/NVIDIA milking the situation of a few years ago. We need to stop enabling them like I did when I bought my 4070ti last year for $800+. It's time they brought the best bank for the buck GPUs back down to any where from $275 to $350 price points and not the current $600 to $800. Just my humble opinion. :)

If anyone is looking for a cheap PS I just ordered the Corsair RM750e for $65. Amazon has them with a $20 clip coupon for an additional $20 off.... OOF, there is only one left. Hopefully they'll restock.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is a nice price for that PSU, regardless.

I used a complement of Artic PWM/PST fans in the P400 I had, and it worked out quite well. At the time I was using it with a 2700X and even air cooling with a Hyper 212, it stayed pretty well tamed after swapping that front panel out. I also picked up the accy strip lighting that goes with that case/brand and it made for a nice well lit interior. The only bad part is then you nice well lit dust inside when you don't clean it often (lol).

As to that Assassin cooler, it rates well above its cost.

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
That is a nice price for that PSU, regardless.

I used a complement of Artic PWM/PST fans in the P400 I had, and it worked out quite well. At the time I was using it with a 2700X and even air cooling with a Hyper 212, it stayed pretty well tamed after swapping that front panel out. I also picked up the accy strip lighting that goes with that case/brand and it made for a nice well lit interior. The only bad part is then you nice well lit dust inside when you don't clean it often (lol).

As to that Assassin cooler, it rates well above its cost.
I have a mancave, the room is generally dark and the case is under my desk where I don't see it when I'm on it, so let the dust bunnies reproduce! 🐇 :homer:... The funny think is I've learned to gage when the system is running hot by my leg sometimes leaning against the glass next to the CPU/GPU...

I installed the DeepCool AK620 cpu cooler on my system when I upgraded my system. I thought it was going to snap my board in half. :eek:... I'm exaggerating lol, but there was some concern.

I was trying to avoid installing another monstrosity on my kids build but I will if its the best option for the price. :cool:

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, I have to admit a bit of personal concern about these really large tower coolers. I recall back many years ago that was vogue, and after a couple of years people would start having bugs and issues that were impossible to find and actually due to the PCB/motherboard damage around the socket caused by all that weight hanging there. I would like to think that at least with quality motherboards, this isn't an issue that will recur.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
We did go through an era of quite thin motherboards around Haswell/Skylake times. Once power requirements started creeping back up and they needed separate planes for the higher speed PCIe they thickened back up. Also the sockets have been getting bigger which should help spread the load a little more.

If thats the case, going for the already purchased 6700XT is the best choice.

Found a good pink case and a decent monitor:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card (Purchased For $350.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 Mesh C ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $65.00)
Monitor: LG 27GN800-B 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor ($253.99 @ Target)
Total: $1417.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-08 11:52 EST-0500