[SOLVED] Will this give me stable fps ?

daiyan.-

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I have an i7 8700 (non k), 1TB Seagate, 2x4gb corsair value select (8gb ram 2400mhz), Ordered a "GTX 970 4GB". My dad told he will gift me Acer XF250Q 24" 240hz monitor for my birthday next month, will this setup give me stable 240+fps at low settings ? What will be the max fps i will get ?

Solution
Yes, it's real I get 300fps in the stock maps, I get @ 200-250 in Dust II or any of the user designed maps since they are more cpu challenging. My 3770k is currently clocked at 4.6GHz because I changed coolers, but prior to that it was at 4.9GHz and my Asus strix 970 is running a 124% OC. I have 16Gb Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 1866MHz that'll OC to 2400MHz if I wish it too.

CSGO is not very gpu depending, it runs 2-3 threads only. So depending on the map, there's no reason why a slightly higher IPC 4790k shouldn't be seeing the same numbers. If your bud is having to drop settings, I'd suggest you look in GeForce Experience and see if it's optimized and running a 4k DSR.

Also turn 3d pre-rendered virtual frames from 3 (default) to...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have some misconceptions.

Fps is limited by the cpu, not the gpu. Cpu can only pre-render so many frames per second, depending on the game code itself. In CSGO on an i7-3770K I get 300fps average. The gpu has to live upto that limit or not, depending on the resolution and detail settings. I run a gtx970 and CSGO is ultra max everything at 1080p. Still get 300fps. If I drop to low settings, I get 300fps, because that's the limit of frames per second the cpu can pre-render. Gtx970 is capable of higher, but is limited by the cpu, so changing detail settings does nothing.

That would change if I enabled 4k DSR, and rendered at 4k resolution in the gpu, max fps would drop, cpu still capable of 300fps, gpu not, so lowering settings would get more fps.

But that has nothing to do with the monitor. The monitor can only show you as many frames per second as it has Hz refresh, depending on what the gpu gives it. So if the gpu gives it 50fps, that's what you see, no matter if it's 60Hz, 144Hz or 240Hz.

With CSGO at 300fps, it's beyond the refresh of any monitor, so all I'd get is Hz, just no dips below Hz. With Skyrim, all I get is 60fps, cpu limited by mods, so I'd get 60fps on 60Hz, 144Hz or 240Hz.

Having fps higher than Hz means no reliance on vsync or its alternatives to balance frame dips.

daiyan.-

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
You have some misconceptions.

Fps is limited by the cpu, not the gpu. Cpu can only pre-render so many frames per second, depending on the game code itself. In CSGO on an i7-3770K I get 300fps average. The gpu has to live upto that limit or not, depending on the resolution and detail settings. I run a gtx970 and CSGO is ultra max everything at 1080p. Still get 300fps. If I drop to low settings, I get 300fps, because that's the limit of frames per second the cpu can pre-render. Gtx970 is capable of higher, but is limited by the cpu, so changing detail settings does nothing.

That would change if I enabled 4k DSR, and rendered at 4k resolution in the gpu, max fps would drop, cpu still capable of 300fps, gpu not, so lowering settings would get more fps.

But that has nothing to do with the monitor. The monitor can only show you as many frames per second as it has Hz refresh, depending on what the gpu gives it. So if the gpu gives it 50fps, that's what you see, no matter if it's 60Hz, 144Hz or 240Hz.

With CSGO at 300fps, it's beyond the refresh of any monitor, so all I'd get is Hz, just no dips below Hz. With Skyrim, all I get is 60fps, cpu limited by mods, so I'd get 60fps on 60Hz, 144Hz or 240Hz.

Having fps higher than Hz means no reliance on vsync or its alternatives to balance frame dips.
Is it real that you get 300fps with 970 4gb ? If you can please share a screenshot maybe, Because one of my friend have i7 4790k and gtx 970 4gb with 16gb ram but he gets 100-150 fps on high settings and 200-250 on low settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's real I get 300fps in the stock maps, I get @ 200-250 in Dust II or any of the user designed maps since they are more cpu challenging. My 3770k is currently clocked at 4.6GHz because I changed coolers, but prior to that it was at 4.9GHz and my Asus strix 970 is running a 124% OC. I have 16Gb Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 1866MHz that'll OC to 2400MHz if I wish it too.

CSGO is not very gpu depending, it runs 2-3 threads only. So depending on the map, there's no reason why a slightly higher IPC 4790k shouldn't be seeing the same numbers. If your bud is having to drop settings, I'd suggest you look in GeForce Experience and see if it's optimized and running a 4k DSR.

Also turn 3d pre-rendered virtual frames from 3 (default) to 1. And turn off gamebar helper and Xbox DVR.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution