Question Will this PSU Support the 4090?

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
AX1500i

It seems to have the power but I'm not sure it supports the proper ports to connect it. If not, what do I need? Thanks

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
It is a high quality PSU with 10year warranty. It has the power and some so I would try it before buying anything else currently on the market and think about replacing it when we get the new units with the 12pin native connector.

You recommend using my current one with some kind of adapter then?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the cards are supposed to come with the adapter. either a 3 or 4 x 8-pin to the new 12 pin adapter.

my guess is the top end cards that really need it will have the 4 x 8-pin one and the lesser reference based cards will likely have the 3 x 8-pin. but that's just an educated guess on my part.

it looks like 500w is not out of the question for the card. and i believe this is a reference card as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-4090-reportedly-peaks-at-493w-to-hit-31-ghz

so i'd not use anything but a 4 x 8-pin adapter if i used one at all. frankly i don't like them and early stuff (like posted above) suggests they may not be a good idea at all. you're risk as its your system, but $1600+ for the card and i'd not risk anything but top notch psu to go with it. ie a new one with the needed 600w 12-pin connection.

i'd wait for reviews and such to come out and then wait some more for them to test these adapters and so on before deciding. no reason to dive in head first and be a beta tester on such expensive parts.

Reactions: Victel

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
the cards are supposed to come with the adapter. either a 3 or 4 x 8-pin to the new 12 pin adapter.

my guess is the top end cards that really need it will have the 4 x 8-pin one and the lesser reference based cards will likely have the 3 x 8-pin. but that's just an educated guess on my part.

it looks like 500w is not out of the question for the card. and i believe this is a reference card as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-4090-reportedly-peaks-at-493w-to-hit-31-ghz

so i'd not use anything but a 4 x 8-pin adapter if i used one at all. frankly i don't like them and early stuff (like posted above) suggests they may not be a good idea at all. you're risk as its your system, but $1600+ for the card and i'd not risk anything but top notch psu to go with it. ie a new one with the needed 600w 12-pin connection.

i'd wait for reviews and such to come out and then wait some more for them to test these adapters and so on before deciding. no reason to dive in head first and be a beta tester on such expensive parts.

It sounds like an adapter is a bad idea. I looked at the PSUs early and I'm not sure which are compatible with the new power cables. Some sources suggest I might need a 1200 watt especially if I overclock. Which do you recommend

And how many PSU's in the size range 1200-1600watts are on the market now with the 12 pin connector?

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
It is a high quality PSU with 10year warranty. It has the power and some so I would try it before buying anything else currently on the market and think about replacing it when we get the new units with the 12pin native connector.

This makes the most sense to me IF you must put the 4090 card into use immediately. Presuming your existing PSU has enough outputs to support the adapter supplied with the card and the PSU meets the minimum GPU power requirement, then you have both the PSU and GPU under warranty. Then plan to purchase an ATX 3.0 compliant PSU when they're available.

The fact is, ANY PSU you buy RIGHT NOW will have to use some form of adapters as I haven't found any ATX 3.0 PSUs available yet.

IF you can wait a couple of months, there'll likely be ATX 3.0 PSUs coming available.

I can't see spending big bucks on a non-ATX 3.0 PSU when it is still a less-than-optimal solution....

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
With these replies I'm pretty torn between what I should do here. It sounds like there's some risk involved using my current PSU, some would say isn't worth it. The reality is that my stuff won't be covered under warranty since I'm attaching a waterblock to my 4090, my entire system including my motherboard and CPU as well as my current 3090 are all liquid cooled. Would it be best to try my PSU with an adapter (that comes with the 4090) perhaps without liquid waterblock attached first for maybe a week to test it out. With the proper PSUs being unavailable, maybe I should just wait a few months before buying anything?

what are the rest of the specs? overclocked cpu?

may not need as much power depending on the rest. 5-600w for the gpu and a 150w cpu won't need 1500w. but a massive oc'ed intel at 300w+ might want the extra headroom

no overclocking currently. I have the 11900k cpu, the z590 auros waterforce motherboard, 3090, 64gb ram. My batterybackup reads that I get around 700watts when playing certain games

4, 3 Seasonic models and one from MSI.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#J=1,2

They are, how you say, not cheap.

The adapter included with the card should be fine. Maybe consider a PSU replacement when the ATX 3.0 PSU prices have settled down in a year or two.

Is the
MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
a reliable choice for the 4090?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have one and there are no reviews of yet. I think 1000W is a little light for a full custom loop. Unless you know the total power consumption of the rest of your parts. If you even consider overclocking the 4090, power requirements could be out the window.

I don't even bother with a 3080Ti, just let it do it thing. The water cooling has just become a habit at this point. I even have a locked CPU.

The problem with adapters is they are very short (all I saw so far). Add to that that card is very wide (wider then 3090) and if your case is not giant (or you can mount GPU vertically) then in order to fit them you have to bend the adapter near connector or it won't fit. And everything so far suggest bending them is fire hazard. If you currently have 3090 I would definitely wait with buying 4090 until we can see more reviews how it behaves with old PSUs.

With these replies I'm pretty torn between what I should do here. It sounds like there's some risk involved using my current PSU, some would say isn't worth it. The reality is that my stuff won't be covered under warranty since I'm attaching a waterblock to my 4090, my entire system including my motherboard and CPU as well as my current 3090 are all liquid cooled. Would it be best to try my PSU with an adapter (that comes with the 4090) perhaps without liquid waterblock attached first for maybe a week to test it out. With the proper PSUs being unavailable, maybe I should just wait a few months before buying anything?

no overclocking currently. I have the 11900k cpu, the z590 auros waterforce motherboard, 3090, 64gb ram. My batterybackup reads that I get around 700watts when playing certain games

Is the
MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
a reliable choice for the 4090?
depends on card https://www.tomshardware.com/news/1200w-power-requirement-rtx-4090

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014

If I understand correctly, you're currently drawing up to 700 watts with a 3090. Subtract 350 watts taking the 3090 out and a new 4090 can draw up to 600 watts getting real close to 1000 watts - leaving no cushion. I wouldn't go below a 1200 watt PSU.

IF you have the option to wait for a proper ATX 3.0 PSU, that would be the simplest and safest route to go.

If you buy a new, non-ATX 3.0 PSU now, will you keep it indefinitely? Or will you want to change to an ATX 3.0 PSU when available?? EDIT: Thinking about your water cooling everything, I suspect you want everything to be as optimal as possible....meaning you'll almost certainly want an ATX 3.0 PSU when available.

Of course, you could buy a new PSU now and try and sell it when the ATX 3.0 units are available...

First world problems for sure! :)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
In would do like this and use the adapter linked by SID,

By the time ATX 3.0 psu's are readily available and reviews have come out which is good which is less good could you still make the switch.

Last edited: