Will this work.

JohnyGt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Tech specs for my board-7 series-confirm support for Phenom X6. Was not aware of 8 series poss supporting AM3+. Thanks for the info.

It might. At the "base level", there is no difference between the 8xx and 9xx chipsets. What matters (going from memory here...) is the power that the board can deliver to the CPU. Assuming that its an advanced enough board, there is no reason why an 8xx series chipset can't support BD. Some do with the correct bios. If you have an older bios, you'll need to have a supported CPU first to flash it. I haven't heard of any 7xx chipsets/boards being able to support BD, though as you've found out they can support the x6 chips. Considering the issue with BD this isn't really a problem.

JohnyGt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Been out of the loop a while. When we had this upgrade thrust upon us, it was nec. to disregard the newest, priciest stuff. I did not even look into BullDozer, so I'm unaware of the issue of which you speak. Does it under-deliver? And boy, am I an idiot. Don't know how I confused this, but turns out I have an 850 chipset.

BD has issues. It was AMDs hope/belief that they could make a better CPU by increasing parts of the chip, while making the other parts they didn't increase in number more advanced. They also made other changes such as lengthening the pipeline and increasing the latency to the various caches. In short, the new BD chip in most cases is slower then the x4 and x6 Phenom II chips its replacing. Video transcoding is perhaps what BD is best at.

850? Not one I'm familiar with. As an 8 series chipset you can see if there is a bios update that will allow you to run BD if your interested. At this point however I'd just grab an x4 or x6 depending on needs.

TRENDING THREADS