Will Tim Cook Become the Next Steve Ballmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
All they have to do is follow the logic of Ivy League MBAs. A good business leader is someone who focuses on cutting costs, reducing the size of the business workforce, and continuing to produce the same products year after year, while using declines in revenues as an excuse to fire more people.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I see Apple stumbling but not necessarily falling with the new leadership. It's impossible to replace Jobs and Cook will not be able to do so, but I don't think he's inadequate either.

I think his most role to fill will be as a presenter, introducing products as something magical and new that so many people were willing to gobble up when Jobs said those words. That's the key to Apple's success.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Having seen both Jobs and Gates growing up in the news spotlight, you saw two young individuals, both highly competitive but not offensive, at times funny, down to earth and yet full of passion at what they believe in. you don't get intimidated by their appearance. both got charisma. As for Ballmer, he looks intimidating, the serious business type who's out to make a profit. I don't know about Cook. Never see him in the spotlight before. But he looks also like Ballmer, a bureaucratic technocrat, not the inspiring visionary type. Some are just born leaders, others managers.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Let me sum this article up for you:-Jobs = GOD-Cook = possibly Jesus-Ballmer = Model of failure-Gates = whatever, he's no Jobs.Right there on the ballpark.[/citation]

@house70: YOU UNDERSTAND INCOMPETENT JOURNALISM LIKE THAT IN THIS ARTICLE....TOM'S how about hiring a few OBJECTIVE journalists and writers like "house70" here???

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Cook needs to not show up on stage in his sweaty shirt, prancing around like a monkey and he will be already ahead of the Ballmer.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
So tired of the "pile on" against MS and everything they do while crApple never stumbles, even when they do?

I have no love for Ballmer's personality, but they guy has made MS very profitable, and the company considering how large it is, seems to be managed better than most of its size.

It would be great if we could see another Gates emerge at Microsoft though. I and others miss the energetic and interesting spirits like these, surely they must still be out there somewhere.

You know why don't we ever get to hear from some of the senior designers and programmers at MS. I'd love to hear some of their thoughts. That is where the creative genius is at MS. Mr. Ballmer..let them speak to the public and put some "personality back into MS!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I can't say I know much about being an exec, but I can tell this much; you can't really hope to hire another Jobs or Gates type. Their passion came from the fact they were building up their own brain-child. No matter how much you pay someone, they'll be more charismatic about builidng their own company than building someone elses. Not saying Cook is destined to fail, but as long as Apple and its investors don't expect a new Steve Jobs they will continue making money off their ridiculous products.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Cook needs to not show up on stage in his sweaty shirt, prancing around like a monkey and he will be already ahead of the Ballmer.[/citation]

I lol'ed so hard at this.

I do have to ask one question of the author:

You state:

"I have not been at an Apple executive meeting, nor have I chatted with Cook over a cup of coffee. " in regards to Mr. Cook.

Does this mean, since you seem to know a lot about what drives Mr. Ballmer, that you've had coffee with him?

Personally, I think Mr. Ballmer is doing what anyone who follows sensible business practice (that you learn in college marketing and business courses) does as CEO: hype your product.

You'll not replace Jobs...or Gates. Apple and Microsoft were *their* babies. Ballmer is a businesshead. That's what Gates hired him to be...business manager. He isn't the model of tech innovation...he's a businessman...a pitch man.

That's why, to this day, he's more well-known publicly for hooping around and hopping on the stage at that conference...not being a technology innovator or leader.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
@jcknouse:

Well if that is Ballmer's place at MS I'd LOVE to hear from the CREATIVE MINDS AT MS...they are there and I am sure they are more interesting to listen to, and probably more passionate (genuinely) than Ballmer is.

IMV this is what MS needs, some public expression of creative genius ! Let those people speak publicly there have got to be better people than Ballmer in this regard.

[citation][nom]andrei24[/nom]@ house70Of course you would fail to understand what this article said, reading it from your white macbook.[/citation]
I guess next time I should end with
/sarcasm
for y'all to understand.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I can't see what's so big about this CEO position,but than again it's the money thing & also the big mouths of Apple supporters that make this CEO position so much more talked about. Grow up apple supporters,all these CEOs are making far too much money & should get well below a third of what they get now while engineers & scientists should get twice as much money as what they get now.

G

Good article. Rarely in history there will be such big shoes to fill. The odds are really against Cook.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Let me sum this article up for you:-Jobs = GOD-Cook = possibly Jesus-Ballmer = Model of failure-Gates = whatever, he's no Jobs.Right there on the ballpark.[/citation]

Now I like Apples products and beleive that Steve Jobs was a visionary and the top of his game but you myfriend are out of your mind. Bill Gates was right up there with Steve and lets face it, if it where not for Steve there would not be a Bill and if it where not for Bill there would not be Steve as we know him today because there would be no Apple.

It remains to be seen what Cook will do and everyone already knew that Ballmer a nut job.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]I can't see what's so big about this CEO position,but than again it's the money thing & also the big mouths of Apple supporters that make this CEO position so much more talked about. Grow up apple supporters,all these CEOs are making far too much money & should get well below a third of what they get now while engineers & scientists should get twice as much money as what they get now.[/citation]

As with any Job the less people that have a particular skill the more valuable that skill becomes when it is in demand. CEO's are a rare bunch and although I am an engineer myself and would not mind ALLOT more money the fact is that there are more of me then there are of them.

evo_7

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]All they have to do is follow the logic of Ivy League MBAs. A good business leader is someone who focuses on cutting costs, reducing the size of the business workforce, and continuing to produce the same products year after year, while using declines in revenues as an excuse to fire more people.[/citation]

This is exactly what Cook is known for when you do a good review work of his past positions and projects with Apple. But that isn't going to also be enough really with Apple. Gates and Jobs were part of the first leaders of the "Silicon Valley" revolution along with others such as the founders of Intel and such. But Gates and Jobs were the biggest names o the group.

They made products from the ground~up based on their vision and experience and really are celebrities. Cook will do a good job during his tenure at Apple but he can't replace nor bring back the faith, appeal and charisma that Jobs has held.

And Ap3x had it right, technically MS could have destroyed Apple and it was with cash infusion from MS that Apple was able to rebuild part of its revenue and beginning production of the iPod that really rebuilt Apple. Gates oddly had a helping hand in creating the Apple we know today as and Ap3X has a point that anyone who dismisses Microsoft's role in the tech industry has to remember Gates was essential in making Apple stay afloat financially and not going into bankruptcy.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]all these CEOs are making far too much money & should get well below a third of what they get now

while engineers & scientists should get twice as much money as what they get now.[/citation]

Yes, the "creators" are getting fleeced out of their due at many technology companies today. Give the money to those who actually design, code and make the product !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.