Will underclocking my WINDFORCE R9 390 Lower temps?

FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
my gpu overheats alot, and it gets quite loud. it doesnt have trouble getting high fps in any games i play, and was wondering if underclocking it would help temps. I have a good case and all fan slots filled. If so, what is a good clock for its CoreClock (MHz) and MemoryClock (MHz), maybe from another AMD card or something. Thanks!

Solution
You can always set a more aggressive fan speed. MSI afterburner will let you set one fan speed for idle and another for load. You might also consider applying better thermal paste. The stock stuff isn't very good.

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
You CAN underclock, BUT, let's try some solutions BEFORE resorting to something like that, as it wouldn't help much (if at all):

Temps? Fan settings? Have you cleaned out your PC lately?

ddog

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
If you aren't experiencing any crashes I seriously doubt you are experiencing overheating. The card just runs hot on heavy demand games which will prob have the card in the 70 to 80 degree Celsius range. On average most games will have the card temp in the 60 degree range.

I have the same card for almost a year now and never messed with any configs for it. It just runs hot, it was designed to run at that temp range. I wouldn't worry about it.