[SOLVED] Will upgrading my GTX 980 To a MSI GeForce RTX 2060 make a big difference in fps?

Oct 19, 2020
Will upgrading my GTX 980 To an MSI GeForce RTX 2060 make a big difference in fps?

GTX 980 just isn't doing it for me anymore and I was looking for an upgrade but I don't know if an RTX 2060 will make a big difference.

For example, I've been playing Black ops cold war lately but my GPU can barely run it

I average around 50-70 fps on the lowest graphics and I bought a 144hz monitor recently and it just seems like a waste now since my GPU can't perform good enough.

Solution
If I buy a card from the 3000 series wouldn't I need a top tier cpu?
3070 cards are due to be released in October at $500.
Rumors are that a 3060 will launch later at a lesser price.
Considering the massive increase in price/performance from the 3080, I have to think that a lesser priced 3060 is going to be very popular.
Game performance is determined by the GPU or the CPU.
Which is more important will depend on the game.
You need a sufficiently strong processor to generate the frames which are presented to the graphics card.
But, what you see on the screen will be determined by the frame generation capability of the graphics card as well as the frame presentation capability of the monitor.

Games are usually dependent on...
Oct 19, 2020
What's your entire system specs?

Im currently planning on upgrading my pc so my current specs are

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 798MHz
MOBO
Dell Inc. 0KWVT8
GPU
4G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
HDD
1TB WD WD10EZEX
SSD
500GB Crucial CT480BX500SSD1

But I'm planning on upgrading to

CPU
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz
MOBO
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F
RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
GPU
MSI GeForce RTX 2060

Will upgrading my GTX 980 To an MSI GeForce RTX 2060 make a big difference in fps?

GTX 980 just isn't doing it for me anymore and I was looking for an upgrade but I don't know if an RTX 2060 will make a big difference.

For example, I've been playing Black ops cold war lately but my GPU can barely run it

I average around 50-70 fps on the lowest graphics and I bought a 144hz monitor recently and it just seems like a waste now since my GPU can't perform good enough.

RTX2060 probably around 60 to 70 percent faster than your 980. even more so for DX12 or vulkan based tittle.

Depends on the types of games you play.
You look to be reasonably well balanced CPU/GPU

Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

For fast action games, a stronger gpu like a 2060 or better will likely be good.

Games like sims, mmo, and strategy games like fast single thread performance.
For that, I would look at the i5-10600K.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review/5

Sounds like you are graphics restricted and a graphics card upgrade is in order first.

I might add, consider an even stronger upgrade. You do not want to be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Now is a strange time to be buying a graphics card.
With the more entry level 3000 series cards about to launch, that might be a better buy.
3000 series cards may also have an availability issue.
If you want to buy now, buy a EVGA card. They have a free 90 day trade up option if you later decide you want something stronger.

Oct 19, 2020
Sounds like you are graphics restricted and a graphics card upgrade is in order first.

I might add, consider an even stronger upgrade. You do not want to be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Now is a strange time to be buying a graphics card.
With the more entry level 3000 series cards about to launch, that might be a better buy.
3000 series cards may also have an availability issue.
If you want to buy now, buy a EVGA card. They have a free 90 day trade up option if you later decide you want something stronger.

3070 cards are due to be released in October at $500.
Rumors are that a 3060 will launch later at a lesser price.
Considering the massive increase in price/performance from the 3080, I have to think that a lesser priced 3060 is going to be very popular.
Game performance is determined by the GPU or the CPU.
Which is more important will depend on the game.
You need a sufficiently strong processor to generate the frames which are presented to the graphics card.
But, what you see on the screen will be determined by the frame generation capability of the graphics card as well as the frame presentation capability of the monitor.

Games are usually dependent on the performance of the single master thread.
Your 4790 is still a very capable processor.
Look up the passmark performance rating for your processor.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790+@+3.60GHz&id=2226
It has a single thread passmark rating of 2229.
The ryzen 3600 would be a modest upgrade with a single thread rating of 2584
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+3600&id=3481
Not bad, but a similarly priced i5-10600K has a single thread rating of 2928
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10600K+@+4.10GHz&id=3735

Best to upgrade your graphics card first which is easy to do.
Then, see if you really need a cpu upgrade which will involve not only a cpu upgrade but a motherboard upgrade also.

Solution

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Depends on you...

Whether or not it's worth it is entirely dependent on you and what you have.
for example the card you're using now is perfectly fine for playing games in 1080p... so you shouldn't have to upgrade just yet, unless you're looking to play the games in untra high settings or... wanting to do 4k gaming.

You'll need a 4k monitor for that an if your monitor is a 60hz monitor you wont see an improvement in your gaming no matter how powerful your card it (well... you will but that's so insignificant that it's not even worth mentioning)

All in all, if cash isn't a problem then you could probably get something much better for a few bucks extra. but if you cant afford something better then hold off at least for the time being...

Check this benchmark site out to see what i mean... https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060/2576vs4034
They're usually spot on and according to them your old card isn't bad yet, and also the new card doesnt have much of an improvement on it

If you got the cash to burn, i recomend going for the 3080 or failing that the 2080

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020

Not really...

most games need high powered GPU's not CPU

I've seen people selling gaming PC's with 6, 7 year old i7's in them. they work fine.

You got a 4th gen, which isn't very very good but is very very far from bad, so you should be set for the next few years, plenty of time for you to slowly look into upgrading the cpu

Oct 19, 2020
Not really...

most games need high powered GPU's not CPU

I've seen people selling gaming PC's with 6, 7 year old i7's in them. they work fine.

You got a 4th gen, which isn't very very good but is very very far from bad, so you should be set for the next few years, plenty of time for you to slowly look into upgrading the cpu
I heard that if you have a bad cpu but a good graphics card your graphics will "bottleneck" and not run at its maximum power

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
I heard that if you have a bad cpu but a good graphics card your graphics will "bottleneck" and not run at its maximum power

That is true...
but in my experience, if you have a slightly bad or outdated cpu it wont make a difference (Bottleneck)...
obviously if you running a 10 year old celeron you can forget getting any new games to even run, but overall having a powerful gpu is more important than a powerful cpu