Will Windows 7 Kill SSD-based Netbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I don't see W& killing SSD based notebooks, if anything we might see price cuts on larger drives from manufactures wanting to stay in the market. Bancroft also suggested that Windows 7 isn't a viable option for netbooks in general due to the possible increase in pricing, a view I share.

Personally I don't see anyone being willing to pay the premium for the new OS. Part of what draws people to netbooks is the lower price. To add W7 you are likely looking at an additional $75-100 in cost.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
7.5 times or 750% that figure (just a typo). The thing that concerns me about the SSDs is the lifespan of the disks and how good they are being utilized by the OS.

I guess that if for a netbook of the same price I could get 28GBs I would get a SSD based netbook but 8GBs could not even carry my favorite songs. Prices should fall to expect more sales

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
nice link Richeemxx, and a very good point.

I am noticing that companies are trying also to squeeze more profits by releasing "premium" netbooks. If they don't understand that netbooks sell for their prices they will lose a lot of money in the end. Plz just stay to the original niche guys...

G

"only eight of the current ten best-selling netbooks"

Umm ... "only" eight of ten? Isn't that the most? Why say only? Saying "Only two out of ten were hard drive based."

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

G

"Umm ... "only" eight of ten? Isn't that the most? Why say only? Saying "Only two out of ten were hard drive based."

Maybe I'm reading it wrong..."

I would have to agree with SirAnonymousnesser there. What Tom needs to do is hire writers that aren't high school dropouts.

wiseadam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
After reading that, with all the figures and back asswards 8 out 10 75%, I think Tom's is trying to sell me something...I'm going to go out, buy one of the top 10 netbooks, then put windows 7 and my music collections and see what happens.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I am confused. I thought netbooks are the cheap piece of crap laptops which are meant for the masses .... why would you get an SSD if it is supposed to be cheap and for the masses???????? Clearly I am missing something or I am just plain wrong. If so just vote my dumba ss down.

G

$.08 per gigabyte? I can't find any cheaper than $.15/gigabyte.

Themurph

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Hey all! Author here. Those are indeed two typos: two out of 10 Netbooks run SSDs, according to Pricegrabber's list. Also, the cost-per-gigabyte ratio for SSDs is 75 times that of hard drives.

As soon as I can modify the article, I'll append these changes. Apologies for the fark-up!

Themurph

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]I am confused. I thought netbooks are the cheap piece of crap laptops which are meant for the masses ....[/citation]

Correct. But at those small capacity sizes (6-8GB), it's actually cheaper to produce Flash-based storage than a larger magnetic hard drive. Since Netbooks' strength partially comes from their low price points, an argument can be made for using inexpensive, solid-state storage even at the expense of capacity.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Themurph[/nom]Correct. But at those small capacity sizes (6-8GB), it's actually cheaper to produce Flash-based storage than a larger magnetic hard drive. Since Netbooks' strength partially comes from their low price points, an argument can be made for using inexpensive, solid-state storage even at the expense of capacity.[/citation]

I suppose. In which case I would not bother loading a Windows based O/S. Keep it small and efficient .. go linux.

stuckintexas

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]blowuptheking[/nom]$.08 per gigabyte? I can't find any cheaper than $.15/gigabyte.[/citation]

There are 30 HDDs (500-2000GB) on NewEgg that are all under $.15/GB. With the cheapest being ~$.086/GB.

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]I am confused. I thought netbooks are the cheap piece of crap laptops which are meant for the masses .... why would you get an SSD if it is supposed to be cheap and for the masses???????? Clearly I am missing something or I am just plain wrong. If so just vote my dumba ss down.[/citation]

The reasons behind getting SSDs are because they are faster, more efficient, no working parts also means a little more rugged and AFIK slightly cooler. If prices on larger drives move down as they have been and will continue to it would make more sense to buy portables with SSDs. Right now with the sizes and prices we are seeing it wouldn't be cost effective.

Interesting enough Tom's just posted some rumored W7 prices. OEM pricing will be cheaper however looking at that you are looking at relatively the same cost as Vista and still a pretty heavy premium to add any of those versions to a netbook.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Doh, beat me to it. I see no reason to have Windows on a Netbook. The main reason I run Windows is because I can't run certain programs on Linux. Since most people just use these for blogging, surfing, and networking and other light applications, why pay for the OS?

And yes I'm aware you can do more than that with Linux so don't bother.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Most small netbooks seem to run XP anyway. Will XP become unavailable when W7 comes out?

I thought the best projection was for W7 to be out 8-12 months from now. We might have low priced 32GB SSD's by then, although I don't see a problem with a small hard drive either.

akandy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
This is not even a question. Looks like an excuse to write an article to me. SSD prices are just going to go down and will be even cheaper by the time 7 is on the market. The current extra install is less than the extra amount you will be getting for the same price by the time its available for sale. DUUU

G

I've installed the beta version successfully on a 6GB HD, and have 945MB of freespace (despite Windows advised a 10GB disk.

I'm sure some pruning can be done,like nlite did on XP.

plus, hibernation can be turned off, and swapfile can be lowered to 256MB.
That'd free up at least an additional 1-1,5GB I think.
XP was able to install it on 4GB, like Win7 will be on 8GB.
Netbooks never where made to install a lot of stuff on.
Though if I'd want to install a lot of programs on it like office, compression and anti virus, I'd probably be better off with a 12-16GB SSD.

G

Well,if we look at Asus,which tries to create true small notebooks, (S101) which aren't that cheap; there seems to be an audience for even that!
It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days an 11" netbook with an Intel 80GB SSD, and Windows 7 would appear, for something like $1.200 .

jebusv20

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The reasons behind getting SSDs are because they are faster, more efficient, no working parts also means a little more rugged and AFIK slightly cooler.

haha, no working parts... im fairly sure they work. just dont move

G

pfft. Windows 7 is a joke. Windows Vista is a joke. Windows XP has potential but it is clear that Microsoft needs to sell more disks at $200 a pop to keep their investors happy. Get Linux. Period. Windows is trash.

G

If you convince adobe and digidesign - avid to go for linux versions of their products, i'm at your side.

G

Who needs a bloated 6gb OS? Linux will take up far less space, do everything you need it to, and it's free. Seriously, how do Microsoft manage to get the size of the install so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.