Will Windows be a Free upgrade for Vista Users?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
It would be nice if some of the features were available for vista "ultimate"

You know that claim that cool new features would be introduced only to those who purchased "ultimate" I mean, besides from poker, and dreamscene --- has there been any downloads worth it?

I know it isn't going to happen but I can hope, right?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Well, yes, it most probably won't be free.

But there is one question worth debating - how much should Windows Vista users pay for Windows 7 ?

From what I've heard and read, this situation is very similar to the Windows 98 and 98SE situation.

Windows 98SE was just a "minor" update to Win 98 (minor in comparisson to Win 95 -> Win 98.)

The 98SE upgrade wasn't free for 98 users, but it went on sale for a special price as an "add-on" /sort of like a paid service pack for Win 98 users.

That said, I think Microsoft should consider offering Windows 7 at a special discount to Windows Vista users.

In a time of crisis, the more they sell, the better. (to them lol) (and perhaps to us all, if indeed there is a special discount)

MS Tinker is fun... only available to Ultimate users. The main reason for Ultimate though is that some users want all the features of both Home and Business versions of Vista. The ONLY way to get all those features is to buy Ultimate. Whether that's a must-have for you or not... *shrug*. I know I wanted all the features of Home Premium, but I also needed some of the Business features... so I went with Ultimate.

A lot of other people complained about paying for features they don't use... so that's why MS has so many versions of Vista to begin with. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they do the same thing with Win 7. You have to decide what version will be "worth it" for you.

Personally, I think MSFT would be making move in the right direction if:

(1) (Win 7?) Server came in both Server (same functionality as now) and Workstation (stripper OS with management/security ties to 7 Server)flavors.

(2) Windows 7 Business edition (x86 and x64)

(3) Windows 7 Home/Media edition (x86 and x64)

(4) The "Ultimate" stuff gets moved to downloadable extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.