Will Xbox One's New Lineup Be Enough To Surpass PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
"Now that the Xbox One is on the market, it's all about pushing the software to sell hardware."

Maybe if that hardware could achieve 1080p on a modern game, I'd be interested.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Evolve and CoD will be on the PS4 as well... The only significant IP that was exclusive was Halo and everyone knew Halo was going to be made and going to be a Xbone exclusive title...

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
"Now that the Xbox One is on the market, it's all about pushing the software to sell hardware."

you mean 4k? :p

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I don't get all the console hate. The PS4 basically has an R9 270X. That means only the 280 and 290 are ahead of it. For 1080p gaming, this is more than adequate.

With regard to the CPU, the compiler is going to be tuned for one specific CPU architecture to maximize performance and next to metal optimizations give you even more room.

Many of the new games being developed look just as good as most PC games. For $379, you won't get 4k gaming on a console or a PC.

Shut up already.

Znoxz

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

It most likely be scale to 4k like how last gen game would scale to 720p/1080p.
The ps4 and xbone have there place your not getting a pc that can compete with them at $400 and they will get cheaper as time pass plus some of the exclusive are nice like Metal gear V,Kingdom hearts III, Halo, etc.

No need to tell users to shut up, and I never said anything about 4k gaming.

Your points are not quite valid - the PS4 produces similar performance to the 270, not the 270x, which on AMD's side it's bested by the 270x, 280, 280x, 290, and 290x. But that doesn't matter.

You claim that many of the new games being developed look just as good as most PC games... well that depends entirely on what the settings of the PC games are at.

What I was wishing for was the ability to play some of the amazing exclusives that the xbox has... but to be able to play them on my gaming computer, at 1440p, with maximum settings and AA. No console even comes close to that.

Yes, I realize that consoles are a fifth of the price, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that my only option to play these games is at a low resolution, with low settings.

That's disappointing.

Znoxz

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

It is disappointing I would love to play an updated version of halo 2 and halo 3 at 1440p 60 fps.
Bright side xbox exclusives dead rising 3 is coming to pc so maybe there hope.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006

I'm expecting this console generation to be like the last one. The resolutions will slowly begin to fall as more polygons are being pushed.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
It is disappointing I would love to play an updated version of halo 2 and halo 3 at 1440p 60 fps.
Bright side xbox exclusives dead rising 3 is coming to pc so maybe there hope.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Tony Casagrande

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
This is subject to each person's opinion so your YMMV, but personally I still have yet to see any one game announced that makes me want to plop $400 down for a new console, or at least not one that will be exclusively available to the new console generation. I'm not really a huge FPS guy unless you drop RPG elements in it and the other announced titles just don't seem to interest me for various reasons. It's nothing against Halo and the like, but until someone announces Fallout 4, Borderlands 3, an Elder Scrolls that isn't online or some other epic sandbox to play in that won't run on my existing consoles, I can't justify the purchase yet. Besides, there will be more price drops and better models available as time goes on.

All that being said, I think it's wise for both Microsoft and Sony to push as many top-tier games into the eyes of gamers as possible. Graphical capabilities are great and all but when it comes down to it, it's the games and not the specs that sell consoles.

oxiide

Distinguished
Very, very irritated to see no PC announcement for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm still expecting it eventually, of course, but its another reminder of where PC gamers stand with regards to trade shows. We've got the best.. well, everything, and the potential for the best gaming experience (when its not intentionally hobbled by developers), yet we're in the background. I have to wonder how much it costs Microsoft and Sony to prevent the uncomfortable realities of PC gaming from being brought up.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Its never a question about if a console can run 1080p but rather if you want to run 1080p. Consoles are meant to be used on big tv screens from further away thus taking less of your field of view then a pc monitor at those distances 1080p or 720p starts to matter less. However if you run a game at a lower resolution you can use that to push some more other graphical effects so it will always be a tradeoff. the original xbox could run 1080p but that would have meant a far to big sacrifice on the graphical department. The more powerful a console gets the more the scales tip in favor of higher resolutions.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I think out of the entire lineup, I was most impressed with The Division, which will be playable on my awesome PCs. Fabel looked fun too for coop, and the halo collection would be nice, but I don't know if I'll have any time to play it once Smash Brothers and Hyrule Warriors launches. I think I'll hold off.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The difference between consoles in terms of CPU will change, I have no doubt. The 360 had several refreshes so I fully believe the XB1 will be able to do full 4K gaming. At the moment though the number of people that own 4K TVs isn't high enough to warrant doing it. So with current tech and current TVs it should be all about the games, so does the XB1 have a compelling line up? Yes is the answer for anyone but the most blinkered fanboi

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If Microsoft releases Halo Collection for PC they would get my respect somewhat and i would buy XBOX One console. Microsoft is too stupid to realize importance of PC sa gaming platform which on the long run gives you more for less money than any console. Also they are too stupid that PC is ultimate platform which drives games and their OS and software. We all know that they won't release Forza or Halo collection for PC so f... you Microsoft. And to answer this question...no it won't make difference. MS is constantly pooping on their main user base PC owners...payback is a bitch.

oxiide

Distinguished
Its never a question about if a console can run 1080p but rather if you want to run 1080p. Consoles are meant to be used on big tv screens from further away thus taking less of your field of view then a pc monitor at those distances 1080p or 720p starts to matter less. However if you run a game at a lower resolution you can use that to push some more other graphical effects so it will always be a tradeoff. the original xbox could run 1080p but that would have meant a far to big sacrifice on the graphical department. The more powerful a console gets the more the scales tip in favor of higher resolutions.
That's partly true, when you're viewing at a distance pixel density is less apparent. But televisions already have poor pixel density at 1080p. Generally speaking, resolution is a much more dramatic improvement in graphic fidelity than graphical effects are, and I don't think 720p with more effects turned on is likely to look better than 1080p with fewer effects in most titles.

I'd say 60 FPS is much more important than 1080p if you have to choose one, this is why I'd rather just play on PC where 720p is no longer a consideration at this price point.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

They've never changed before. The 360 had multiple refreshes to get heat down and minimize red rings, the actual processing capabilities were always the same. The only thing that'll change over time is developers getting more knowledgeable of how to push the hardware so they can maximize its full potential. Though this is a little different with both the PS4 and the XB1 since they're x86, which developers already know well from the PC, so games aren't going to get as drastically better looking as they did on the 360 over its lifespan.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
What i don't get about the GPU equivalent of the consoles, is even if the PS4 iGPU is equivalent to a R9 270x, My gaming PC with a R9 270x, still looks better and performs better. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that PC has a stronger CPU that it can use to offload certain tasks, but i dont know. Xbox one brings up an even bigger question. My girlfriend's PC has a HD 7770, yet it can run games at 1080p, 30fps easily, yet the Xbox can't. I'm not having a go at consoles, but comparing the GPU power of consoles to PC using its given specs just don't seem to pair up right. Especially with how low level the consoles APIs are.

ExpLicitSainT

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
They announced several games running at 1080P 60FPS on the Xbox One. I doubt you'll see either PS4 or Xbox One running 4K. That's because they would be limited to 30hz due to not having HDMI 2.0. No one knows if they are even able to upgrade either system to run HDMI 2.0. Since AMD has already stated that their older video cards (everything out right now) cannot be upgraded to HDMI 2.0, it's pretty safe to say the Consoles will be running 30Hz and not 60Hz. Let me know just, 30Hz is worse than 30FPS since I've tested this out on my 4k tv with both gaming and video. That said, upscaling is so well done from 720 to 1080, and 1080 to 4k, it's not that big of a deal really. I'd rather have better graphics, than higher resolution with an upscaling monitor.

animalosity

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
To the guy claiming the PS4 has a R9 270X...

xBoned = ~7790/ R7 260 (Bonaire)
PS4 = ~7850/ R7 265 (Pitcairn)

Where did you find this information? After research, the PS4 has a GPU size that is actually 88mm^2 in diameter and has 20 compute units, not the 18 originally specified. You are right that is Pitcairn, but guess what? Pitcairn for the PS4 based on the die size of 328mm^2 and the GPU at the 88mm^2 is stronger than the 7850. It is in fact a Pitcairn 7870 or R9-270

Status
Not open for further replies.