Willits: id's Old Style Just Doesn't Work Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
allowing players to actually play rather than endure numerous cut scenes, lengthy dialogue
I just picked up Mass Effect on Steam sale and holy BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, Batman. Yes I know it a rpg, but if if I wanted cutscenes and dialogue I would have just turned to Netflix.

irsoccer05

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I love Mass Effect because of it's quality story and dialogue. It's something you don't get from games too often these days.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The reason I buy Id games is for the simplicity & fun. I just don't like the newer stuff that takes so much time they are more a task than a game. They are making a big mistake in my opinion if they go the route of everyone else.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Everything has a time and a place and I too believe that that formula has been retired. I still love those games and encourage anyone that missed out on those days to dig one of the old corridor shooters up and play it. However, I'm glad to hear that they aren't retiring the formula completely and am seriously looking forward to Rage. Each piece of footage looks excellent and appears to be the comeback of an industry pioneer and fan favorite.

I just picked up Mass Effect on Steam sale and holy BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, Batman. Yes I know it a rpg, but if if I wanted cutscenes and dialogue I would have just turned to Netflix.
Glad you realise it's an RPG - as dialogue drives these games. I know what you mean about the lengthy dialogue though. I remember the old Zelda games being considered an RPG - yet Link did all the talking/texting for you.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know what some fun games are to play

serious sam first and second encounter. its why i bought the hd remakes, and holy s@$# am i satisfied.

you just need to do the corridor running right. id cant do this... at all...

G

They have the wrong formula - run and gun with diversity realism and sometimes unexpected scenarios is exactly what i want . Take Crysis - they sure have missed the boat. After so many years and they come out with what!! Something that looks like a cross between the old crysis and COD. Pathetic.

G

FPS genre has been dead post 1999.

Unless, of course, you enjoy extremely slow movement and limited gameplay.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tommysch[/nom]ID can shove their games up their ass then.[/citation]

Charming...... I just love how civil discourse is these days. I am sure our charming gentleman lacks the perspective to realize that not everyone thinks along the same lines he does. I, on the other hand, am very much looking forward to "Rage".

tlmck

Distinguished
It is the game makers who love cut scenes and such. Much cheaper and easier to make non-interactive content(filler material). This way you can also get away with making less game and still charge the same. It is all about screwing the customer in the name of greedy profit. I have been playing id games since there was such a thing, and still do on occasion. Unfortunately, the current id is a mere shadow of it's former self.

In other words, Tim Willits is full of beans.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
If what the bigwigs at id are saying is true about what games want then I wonder what will happen to the GTA series.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Oh so even id's seen the light? about time!
imo titles like fear, mass effect, borderlands and max payne are much better games - simply because they've got a convincing plot and aren't entirely as monotonous as say the doom series or the first two quakes.
If you want simple dumbed down multiplayer you go cod or tf2 - if you want singleplayer you go something like the titles I mentioned. You only go id to feel slightly less old again.
Sorry, but their glory days are long gone. They died with quake 3 when ut 2004 was released. And really, it's about time. Carmack's more of a nutjob than a techie these days anyway.

maisere

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
So there are towns to buy stuff, vehicle combat (can anyone give me an example of an FPS that does this well other than Halo?) and the old run'n'gun

Sounds completely different. Also, for pure run'n'gun try Painkiller. It literally has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.