[SOLVED] Win 10 Crashed - Event Viewer Errors - how to fix???

Sillycat41

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
Tried to do a backup with Macrium Reflect and got this message "Backup aborted... unable to read from disk. Error code 23. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). After that Win 10 wouldn't boot up. Ran Chkdsk, Repair, Sys Restore, etc. Finally booted up but still acting up... lots of errors in the Event Viewer. What do they mean and how can I fix them? Is the hard drive failing? Trying to save my personal data in case I have to reinstall Win 10... hope there is a fix so I don't have to do that and lose data. Help!!

Solution
Tried to do a backup with Macrium Reflect and got this message "Backup aborted... unable to read from disk. Error code 23. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). After that Win 10 wouldn't boot up. Ran Chkdsk, Repair, Sys Restore, etc. Finally booted up but still acting up... lots of errors in the Event Viewer. What do they mean and how can I fix them? Is the hard drive failing? Trying to save my personal data in case I have to reinstall Win 10... hope there is a fix so I don't have to do that and lose data. Help!!
That looks to be a failed/failing drive.
Unable to read from disk
Cyclic Redundancy check failed.

That is a physical issue with the drive.

You waited too long to protect your data.

Don't try...

USAFRet

Titan
That looks to be a failed/failing drive.
Unable to read from disk
Cyclic Redundancy check failed.

That is a physical issue with the drive.

You waited too long to protect your data.

Don't try using Macrium.
Connect that drive as a secondary drive to some other system, and see if you can copy individual files/folders from it.

NOTE: The more things you do with it, the closer it is to actually dying completely.

Solution

Sillycat41

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for your response. That's what I figured was happening. I did transfer my photos to an external hard drive last night. Other than document and PDF files, the only other thing I can think of to save would be my Firefox bookmarks and Thunderbird email. Am I missing anything?

I did make a full backup a month ago... neglected to do my weekly backup due to illness. I'm guessing that I could restore that backup on a new hard drive and then just patch in the files I saved separately, right? Since the hard drive may have started failing a while ago, how will that effect using the backup on a new hard drive?? Any idea?

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
In the Macrium client, you can Mount an Image as a drive letter.
Don't try to recover that whole old backup to a drive.

Assuming thisis a secondary drive, mount it, and retrieve what you need from it.

If it is the C drive, then maybe a recovery from that month old backup.
Of course, that leaves off any changes you've made in the last month.