Win 10 non-genuine lock-out!

bytes2go

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
4 years ago, grandson gives me a comp, win 7, Okay? (You know where this is going.) Recent attempt at win 10 upgrade results in blue screen lock-out. I'm unable to load anything, sys tray notification that the copy is pirated.

What do I do?

I'm able to access, via DOS, my files, etc., but am unable to access anything Windows related (hope this is clear).

Is there any way I can copy my disk content via DOS to another medium? Basically, I'm asking have I lost completely everything I had on my hard drive? That there is no way under the stars I can retreive my stuff?

Solution
bottom line is just go with a retail disk copy and do a legal fresh install on a fresh clean harddrive -- I never conceder any ''upgrade'' path cause if something was to go wrong you may find you got 2 os's ruined or flagged by Microsoft or what ever [opinion]
bottom line is just go with a retail disk copy and do a legal fresh install on a fresh clean harddrive -- I never conceder any ''upgrade'' path cause if something was to go wrong you may find you got 2 os's ruined or flagged by Microsoft or what ever [opinion]

Solution

bytes2go

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Firstly, don't know how monkey misconstrued my intention. The question was: is there anyway to retrieve my stuff. How he mixed that up to a question about illegality if beyond me. Any who, I did what he suggested above. I bought a retail copy of seven, installed on a new drive, then swapped drives and copied my stuff over to the new drive, which is, as I say, all I wanted all along. Thank you both for your input.

well like when I went to 7 on a new drive I just hooked my vista drive up like a storage drive and just copy and paste / drag and drop files I needed when needed from the old os to the new ??

I do this as far back as old xp drives as well - this is why I all ways install a os on its own drive and never do ''upgrades '' that write over existing os's and files