[SOLVED] Win 11 - Programs & Features - cannot scroll down to the end of the applications list ?

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
One month old Lenovo Windows 11 notebook. Everything installed properly and functioned perfectly until today. I wanted to delete the Skype for Business app, right clicked, clicked de-install and the Programs and Features window opened. I scrolled down and got as far as the "M" list of programs and could go no further.

I fired up my trusty Revo uninstaller and after it opened I scrolled down and got as far as the "M" list of programs. Same behaviour as above.

I clicked the start button, clicked on "All Apps" and could scroll all the way to the end. So whatever is causing this behavior is not affecting the Start menu app scrolling.

I have an external drive with thousands of pictures. I've scroll it in the last few days with no problem. Now, it scrolls down one page and then gives up. Even the snapshots on the icons do not appear.

I ran sfc /scannow - no errors found. Any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you mean settings/apps/installed apps? or the control panel menu?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

maybe rebuild search index?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So clean boot shows its not another program, and its not search.

I assume you aren't using a wireless mouse and it just needs a recharge

curious if its the same in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
Colif, thanks for the quick reply. I got frustrated with this problem so I decided to do a restore at a point 4 days before this happened. It's running now as I am typing this. I'll post whatever happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
in the blue menus that lead to Safe mode, could try this:

• choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open

see if you can scroll to bottom in file explorer

thats completely outside windows at that point though.

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
I was able to get to notepad and click open, but I could not get to the programs and features function within the control panel. One must specify a file to open otherwise you are out of luck.

This problem seems only to affect the Programs & Features scroll list and that of Revo. I have tested all other screens, programs, etc. that have scroll lists beyond one page and nothing else seems to be affected. I think that Revo may only read whatever P & G reveals to it. So if the problem with P & G is fixed then Revo should be okay.

I searched for how to obtain the BitLocker code and it appears that it is hardcoded into the OS when the machine is built, Lenovo pays the licensing fee and then it is read into your Microsoft account when you register it with MS. I'm sure if this is really how the process works but Lenovo does describe in somewhat this way.

I logged in to the MS account, did a search, found that it is located in "Devices" and from there it is deeply buried. Got there finally and was told that since the change of email address is still pending I could not acccess the Bitlocker code. I requested a change of my wife's email address (its her computer) from MS, but apparently one must wait 30 days before they decide that you are allowed to have your new email address with their precious account. Really ????? And they won't allow me to have my BitLocker code until Dec. 16th. Unbelieveable! [end of rant]

The question remains, what is going on with the Programs & Features list and its scrollbar. Nothing else seems to be affected. I really don't want to do a reset.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried running anti virus scans to see if its a random infection? Same with malwarebytes

I requested a change of my wife's email address (its her computer) from MS, but apparently one must wait 30 days before they decide that you are allowed to have your new email address with their precious account. Really ????? And they won't allow me to have my BitLocker code until Dec. 16th. Unbelieveable! [end of rant]
i don't have bitlocker, are you running Pro as I don't think its on Home yet.
That restriction seems a bit much. Lenovo should make the "feature" more obvious

its not a problem I can find answers to easily as most results are for
  • Always scrolling down
  • No scroll anywhere
yes, notepad was more to see if you could scroll through this:
I have an external drive with thousands of pictures. I've scroll it in the last few days with no problem. Now, it scrolls down one page and then gives up. Even the snapshots on the icons do not appear.

does it still happen if that drive is not plugged in?

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
I overlooked your suggestion to go to the Lenovo website and update the drivers. I did finally, downloaded the install, ran it and there was only one, a bios update. So I did that and after the bios update finished it asked for my Bitlocker code which of course I don't have. I tried everything to start the computer, "skip this drive", etc. and no go. Can't start it without the the code. I guess I have to wait until Dec 16th or yell at Lenovo.

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
I was getting flustered. It is actually asking for a recovery key which should be available in the MS account. Of course, the password for the account is in a password manager which is on the computer and I can't access the computer.

I obtained the technical support line at Lenovo and dialed it. It dials and then goes dead. Gave up after the third try.

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
The folks over at the Lenovo forum empathized with me but had not solution. I'll wait until the 16th when Microsoft lets me out of purgatory. Maybe the Bios update will solve the scroll problem. Doubt it.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, much appreciated.

Reactions: Colif

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
The folks over at the Lenovo forum empathized with me but had not solution. I'll wait until the 16th when Microsoft lets me out of purgatory. Maybe the Bios update will solve the scroll problem. Doubt it.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, much appreciated.

If anyone is still following this thread, I finally found the solution to the problem. It was ME! [very red face]. I did not know that the Programs and Features list in the Control Panel did NOT include Microsoft apps. There were no third party installed programs that started with the letters following "S" to the end of the alphabet. I tested this by installing Teamviewer and sure enough it showed up in the Program list and I could scroll to it.

On the other problem of the Lenovo recovery key; I was allowed out of purgatory by Microsoft on Dec. 16 and could finally obtain the recovery key. One must enter the 45 digit key using only the F keys where F10 is zero. After countless security checks I had to create a new pin code and MS unfroze the OneDrive as well, although from the final message it didn't appear to work. It does. I love the incongruous messages one gets from software installations.

So, I'm back to normal. Thanks to all for your knowledge and comments. Much appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did not know that the Programs and Features list in the Control Panel did NOT include Microsoft apps. There were no third party installed programs that started with the letters following "S" to the end of the alphabet.
I guess the windows update assistant doesn't count as a Microsoft App. Guess you didn't have it installed. I do see your point about general lack of windows apps there. I have to say I don't use that menu anymore. So I didn't know.