WIN 7 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinator

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
For those running this OS, how much RAM are you using to run it? How is the PC running with that amount of RAM?

Also, what is the minimum HW requirement of RAM for this OS?

thx

It isn't out yet, so there aren't really any official requirements. That being said, I wouldn't really try to run it with less than 2GB, given the cost of memory right now, and 4GB is probably better.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I'm guessing the minimum is going to be 1 gb with 2 gb recommended --- although they claim that the ram "footprint" will be less than that of vista, you really can't tell until they finalize what features will be included

Right now, win7 is just a rework of the vista core --- no one will really know anything until both the "core" and "features" are completed and finalized.

Are you just curious? Every system selling today should meet the requirements (well maybe not if they are preinstalled with V - basic)

Yes. Two gig is fine on Vista so it should be as least as good on 7, but to be sure we just have to wait.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

To be accurate, I believe those that have Win 7 are running a preBeta (alpha) version - was a very limited, selective release. I understand it got out on the bittorrents, though. But, I think Beta 1 is yet to come.

Very true. All that is out is the pre-beta, not the beta.

What about the companies like mine that still run a 2.5 Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, and a ATI 7500? Thats why M$ can't sell their OS's; the companies which normally upgrade first won't spend the money on new PC's, on top of the licenses needed, when their old ones already run the programs they need.

That's why people have so many issues with Vista - You don't run software on hardware that can't take the heat. If you know your hardware can't run it, don't put new software on it and then say the software sucks. Most new PCs will be able to run 7 fine.

As for your company, though - your hardware is archaic by today's standards. I'm sure it works fine for what you do, and that's fine to keep it. However, if you're going to spend time upgrading OSs, I would highly recommend you spend time upgrading your hardware, too, or else you won't see any kind of boost of anything at all. If you don't need to upgrade, why are you thinking about it?

If you find you want to be more productive or get a feature for new software, you're going to have to have the infrastructure to use it.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Not only that, you're looking at a rediculous amount of trouble if any of your systems start to go down. You arent going to start finding parts like that laying around and frys. If you've got your own in house technical support, you're not likely to have the distributors specifically just for legacy PC parts to repair with. And if you dont have your technical support on your payroll, you're going to pay out the ass for legacy parts from the corperate IT companies that do have those distros.
That, coupled with the costs of IT wages both In House or Outsourced is going to bring a whole lot of trouble you dont need when trying to do other important things. Like keeping a company above the red in a financial crysis, or figuring out what to eat for lunch. But hey, time is money right?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
As for windows 7, I cant see it using much more memory than vista. Vista doesnt use that much memory anyways, and performs just fine when under the recomended hardware requirements. (Unless you are just looking at the task manager memory target. Then you're always going to be dissapointed since Vista, and likely windows 7 will set aside a portion of your ram for programs that might use it. And it also shares this portion. So likely what you think is ram hogging is actually helping to keep your computer just a tad more snappy.)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Win 7 is supposed to be lighter than Vista with a stripped down kernel. New graphics and GUI features would put some weight on it so... I say it will be faster than Vista, might be slower than XP. If you have something that can run Vista aero, it should be fine :)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Win 7 is just an optimization of the Vista code, which MS will mess up with more bloat that is not in Vista. Win 7 runs ok right now with 2gb ram.
I think where you will see the biggest difference is on systems with the memory controller on the cpu.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I tried the Pre beta on my x58/i7 rig and it wouldnt let me load my mobo drivers. One thing i did notice in the 10 mins i looked at it was the vista index score goes up to atleast 7.5 maybe higher.

I think windows seven is SP2/SP3 all in one, but M$ would rather call it new and charge another $400 instead of giving it free.

Status
Not open for further replies.