Win A Custom-Painted Falcon Northwest Tiki!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Wolley74[/nom]450W seems low as heck for all that, not even room for OC on it[/citation]
You must be one of those geniuses who thinks a build like this must need 700+ watts......lol

You are right, a premium builder like Falcon Northwest has no idea what they are doing

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Don't bother entering then Wolley74, you won't like it. I on the other hand, will be completely satisfied with is as-supplied by Tom's and Falcon NW.

[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]I thought the 680 needed at least 550W (according to newegg).[/citation]

That's just an extremely basic guideline for the less savvy builders. It accounts for the possibility of you using a very high power CPU or other components as well as using crap quality PSUs that lie about their wattage (some 500-600W models are actually only capable of delivering around 350-450W).

Besides, what really matters is the +12V power delivery these days anyway, not jsut the total wattage. The PCIe cards and CPU, usually the most power hungry components in a system (by far), both primarily use the +12V rails these days and that's why it +12 is what matters. A decent 430W or 450W PSU could be plenty (although maybe pushing your luck if you want to really overclock that 680) if they have the right characteristics such as around 30 amps on the +12V rail.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I love how they not only explained why they are only doing this in CONUS due to people complaining on every contest they do, but the fact people don't actually read that part and are still complaining.

aznjoka

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Finally able to enter this ( considering my age). Great luck to all participating!

Quite a lovely build I do say myself.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]larkspur[/nom]Not sure I'm with you on the zero percent part Chris. Could you explain why? It wasn't clear in the original picture article whether the I/O shield is custom-machined into the case, so I'm not totally sure... But it would seem to me that Haswell and Broadwell will have mini-ITX motherboards and Asus is likely to follow-up the P8Z77-I with such a board. Mini-ITX is Mini-ITX so as long as the upgrade board's layout is similar to this Asus board (like the next Asus mini-ITX board will likely be) then it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade. I figured that was part of Kelt's point about using as much industry-standard components as possible without customizing too much. Anyway, am I missing something or were you maybe a bit overly poetic in saying "zero chance"?[/citation]
Thanks larkspur; I clarified that line in the story a little earlier today. In essence, if you look at the layout's specificity, it'd take an almost exact copy of the motherboard in order to maintain compatibility with the Tiki chassis. I talked to Kelt about this, and he recommends that, in the future, the system would likely need to go back to Falcon for an upgrade. My comment relates to the likelihood of an enthusiast adapting the machine to a new platform him/herself.

Halberd388

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Oh MAN I hope I win this! So much... oh I can't even find words!

A company I praise constantly, a news site I've followed for years. Engineering enthusiast hardware feat that most could hardly fathom with hardware I drool over and amazing art work that I'd love to proudly display on a prime spot on my desk?

I hope I win, but if not, whoever does better not sell it! Best of luck everyone!

G

Hey i am one of your biggest readers toms! Pick me and i will treasure that system till my bones turn into dust.

G

[citation][nom]Wolley74[/nom]450W seems low as heck for all that, not even room for OC on it[/citation]
reread the second and third paragraphs.
the days of needing big honking PSUs are long gone and i am sure they didn't stick a diablotec in there.

since i never win anything i'll tell ya what; if i win i'll ship it to you for trade with your 670 . . . that might change my luck.

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Thanks larkspur; I clarified that line in the story a little earlier today.[/citation]
Thanks for the reply and explanation. I agree - the motherboard selection would be crucial and you'd have to hope that the board layout was pretty much the same. Looking at all the comments people seem very impressed with this system and the power that comes in a tiny package. Having built mini-ITX multiple times I have to say, it's very possible to fit the same power in a small package using DIY components. You won't match the Tiki in how small it is - it's layout is exquisitely efficient (Hopefully Falcon had the foresight to make the granite base detachable for portability). However, you can still make something a lot smaller than the typical mATX machines out there that might turn some heads.

Since you guys at Tom's seem to like these tiny systems as well, why not throw in a sweet mini-ITX build as a bonus category in the next SBM? Obviously it'll bomb on value, but you guys should have some serious fun with that and judging by the comments here, I think there's a crowd to appreciate it. Eh?

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Good luck Americans! Never saw such a small case in Romania! For the Winner of this contest: I wish the most fun from this small and really powerful pc!!! I wish a nice day to everyone!

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
you know, it isn't that hard to ship to canada, as long as you make it known in your rules that Canadian residents will be responsible for customs brokerage, duties & taxes. you just need to ship an invoice indicating the value of the system and where it was made.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]larkspur[/nom]Thanks for the reply and explanation. I agree - the motherboard selection would be crucial and you'd have to hope that the board layout was pretty much the same. Looking at all the comments people seem very impressed with this system and the power that comes in a tiny package. Having built mini-ITX multiple times I have to say, it's very possible to fit the same power in a small package using DIY components. You won't match the Tiki in how small it is - it's layout is exquisitely efficient (Hopefully Falcon had the foresight to make the granite base detachable for portability). However, you can still make something a lot smaller than the typical mATX machines out there that might turn some heads.Since you guys at Tom's seem to like these tiny systems as well, why not throw in a sweet mini-ITX build as a bonus category in the next SBM? Obviously it'll bomb on value, but you guys should have some serious fun with that and judging by the comments here, I think there's a crowd to appreciate it. Eh?[/citation]
Well, we have this next SBM planned out already, but I certainly wouldn't be adverse to planning an entire Marathon around mini-ITX if the guys are amenable to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.