Win an SSD this Windependence Day - What Linux Software Do I Need?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014

I don't normally use Linux (mostly stick to Windows, but just like Apple's iOS, I do play with them from time to time out of curiosity), and the only version I do use is Ubuntu as I find it the easiest when switching from Windows. So I am not the best person to answer this question.
But I do get PureVPN, Google Chrome (and Firefox) and Skype to work on Ubuntu.
The other options in your question I have not tried on Ubuntu.

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
For an SSD it's either speed or capacity. Not enough speed might as well use a hard drive, not enough capacity might and you'll need a hard drive anyways!

Cheezwiz789

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
I've been using Mint almost exclusively for several years. (unless you count Raspbian on my raspberry pi adventures)

Mint has all of the benefits of Ubuntu (since that is what it is based on), with a few extra tweaks that improve user-friendliness.

bettsar

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
For me, the ssd is about fast storage, so it's speed, but capacity and data integrity are key as well.

I'm primarily a Windows user myself. I have messed with Ubuntu a few times but never installed it and said, "this is my new OS". I think that's what it takes to really decide if you like it. Commit to it, and don't go back unless you really can't find a way to do what you need.

Cheezwiz789

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
For me, the main draw of the SSD is speed.

If it were not for the speed advantage, I'd be leaning more toward using conventional hard drives due to the higher capacity/$ ratio.

geekinchief

Expert
Ambassador
Sep 10, 2008
So I'm writing to you now from my laptop, running Linux Mint 18. Some impressions:

1. The fonts and UI on the default desktop (aka Cinnamon) seem very primitive. The letters are jagged and the look and feel of the Windows and taskbar seem like they come from Windows 2000, not from a modern interface like Windows 10 or macOS.

2. Performance is sluggish, at least when connected to my DisplayLink dock. I'm seeing mouse trails and ghosting on this four year old Core i5-4200U laptop. Yes I have the latest driver.

3. It asks for my password way too often. I'm logged in, but every time I go to do something like update a driver or add a new app, it prompts again. The worst: every time I launch Chromium browser, it asks me a for a password for my "default keyring." I'm logged in already; why do you keep asking me for my password over and over again?

4. Taking screen shots doesn't work with a keyboard shortcut. I have to launch the screen shot app and half the time it won't launch (like when I get a password prompt from launching Chrome, it won't allow me to use the Start menu to launch other apps until I key in the password again).

5. I installed it to dual boot with Windows 10, but guess what, it failed to do that. I get the GRUB menu that lets me choose Windows as an option, but it just shows me a black screen with a flashing cursor when I select Windows. So now I can't go into Windows (I'm sure there's probably some kind of fix that involves editing the bootloader, but this shouldn't have happened).

Jun 27, 2018
The Best Linux distros will be Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Depending on your preference you can load either one to an USB and take for a test drive. Both have software centers that allow you to install many of the item you will need with nothing more than a point and click. I switched when Windows Vista came out.

Photo Editing: Gimp is the most comprehensive
VPN: AirVPN offers native Linux apps
Video Conferencing Skype works
Email Mozilla

sriny1512

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
With the SSD, speed of writing, reading & also the durability is very important feature.

I have been using Linux since 2003. Started using Debian first & later moved on to Ubuntu in 2006.
My friend recommended me to use Linux. Being a Mechanical Engineer by profession, I loved to use Linux at first for everyday tasks such as browsing, creating documents, accessing mails using Thunderbird.

It is just one hurdle that stops us from trying Linux. That is not willing to try, learn & explore. Throughout my journey with Linux as on today. I am comfortable in installing any version of Linux beside other OS. Install drivers in Linux, Use Libre Office, Firefox, Gimp, KDE burner and many other apps.

My recommendation would be, try first and you will love. Forget about antivirus when using Linux & you have plenty of Apps to explore in Linux.

Happy using Linux to Everyone :)

For me, the most important SSD features are
1) Being in my possession (if I win)
2) Stability of performance. No pauses while it does cleanup, no long-term slowdown.
3) Random read at low queue depth.

What I would like: A big enough capacitor to store in-flight data if the power goes out.

brandonclone1

Honorable
Mar 26, 2014
Also, one of my earliest Linux projects was running a Plex server on headless CentOS. Very fast, very reliable. I highly recommend tinkering with CentOS if you have the patience to learn something new!

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
I would say Ubuntu, but most would probably sayt Mint. I believe Debian-based OSes are the easiest to get Skype running, but I've done it on CentOS. It's just not in the main repository. Probably Thunderbird for email.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
im actually debating using linux as well. i hate windows 10 i dont trust all the extra info that comes and goes but i am a bit on the lazy side so havnt delve into security and app this and that yet. seems though linux software and drivers have become much more avialable

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Over the years I have used many distributions. If you are an absolute beginner to a non-windows system, and you are a basic user, then Linux Mint is for you. The menu system will be quite familiar.

Thereafter, you have to look at the two most popular user interfaces "Gnome" and "KDE". Standard Ubuntu, FEDORA, SUSE, Manjaro distributions provide them. Gnome is probably the most popular. Somewhat more effort to configure is KDE.
If you choose one of the other, it will not matter to you if it is one of the mentioned distributions.

The four distributions I mentioned are equally robust and reliable. What will distinguish one from the other are the size of the communities if you have questions about usage or other. A second consideration is the amount of software that the distribution maintain as libraries. For example, Ubuntu has the largest support group and libraries. Suse (Tumbleweed) and FEDORA are next in size.
Those are my comments regarding Desktop use.

Re setting up your own server, I would consider Centos, Scientific Linux, SUSE Leap or Debian.

If you are installing onto a SSD, consider leaving 5 to 10 percent unallocated, as a way to get a few extra years life from the SSD.

Jun 20, 2018
It would depend on what hardware I would be running and purpose...
Ubuntu studio for video and music
Ubuntu 18.04 is most popular I have played with older ver. Long time ago so I would say with all the different ver. Out there it would be up to you to chose....

Status
Not open for further replies.