Win an SSD this Windependence Day - What Linux Software Do I Need?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientGem

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
1. Favorite SSD feature is blazing speed compare to HDD. PCIe better that SATA if you have empty PCI slot.
2. To be honest I'm ok with Windows. But it not Windows 10. I try Windows 10 and understand you desire to Linux) I'm back to Windows 7 and happy with it.

ChoeBoi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1) For the giveaway, I'd say the most important feature for me would be price-performance ratio. I prefer a lot of space, and sometimes the latest/greatest SSDs are a little out of my price range. I think "felt" performance is really all that matters at the end at a price I can afford.

2) For your Windependence venture, I don't really do a lot of the same things you do. However, here are a few suggestions I've heard good things about.

* Ubuntu (or one of its variants), LinuxMint, or Fedora are all decent and generally preference.
* GIMP for photo editing
* OpenVPN works just fine in linux
* Brackets for your coding needs (on GitHub and backed by adobe)
* Skype has a native client, and your distro probably has an install for it built into the package manager
* Not sure about email, but I think there is a webapp if you use Office 365 accounts.
* Chromium and/or Chrome may be both available through your package manager and probably not a big deal (or even possibly installed by default).

Jun 29, 2018
"What's the most important SSD feature?" Price, then capacity, then reliability.

"Declare your Windependence!" I would say Debian is Linux flavor to try but not for anything you listed, so try Ubuntu as already suggested

champagne_p

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I agree with most, best feature of an SSD are the read and write speeds. As far as a Linux software question, perhaps Ubuntu studio?

VitosBandos

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
I think you should try Mint Linux, hear many good things about it. I can't give some advice about software, I don't use it by myself.

Jul 1, 2018
Reliability is most important for an SSD and any electronic device in general. As for linux, I use Manjaro with the cinnamon desktop. It's an arch derivative, but packages are somewhat checked by maintainers so that installing them doesn't break the install very often. When it does break(won't boot), it's easily fixed with SSH an removing the problem package.

Jul 2, 2018
Most important feature to me is price, then performance/capacity.

I wish I could provide helpful information for Linux but I don't have any experience.

meeker.iot

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I don't use Linux for the purposes our Editor needs it to accomplish. My line of work is a bit more specialized. I use BackTrack (Kali) for Pen Testing. However, I feel this feedback is just as valuable as a positive suggestion. I suggest *NOT* using BackTrack for the day. It is highly specialized and could/would be... err, distracting at the best of times and outright non-functioning on a few items listed.

Good luck, sir/ma'am.

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
I am using Fedora 28 with Gnome, and with some third party Office software. I do programming (C/C++), blogging, editing, graphics, writing, and more. I've been on Linux from the day W10 was made available.

My comment about the Windows vs Linux debate is: If you get to know your distribution, you get to know the navigation, the quirks of same and with experience, your productivity rises as you learn your equivalent software.

For every $$$ windows software there is a $0.00 Linux alternative. That $0.00 is a great boon to me, as I am a senior on a pension without too much cushion.

Being on pension, I have time to compare different flavors of Linux. As I indicated in my opening paragraph, Fedora 28 with Gnome is my preferred version. Second to Gnome is KDE Plasma, also on Fedora28.
The most recent Ubuntu presents you with a modified (Ubuntu flavor of Gnome). If you started with Ubuntu and like it, by all means, stick to it. With the top four versions of Linux, there is relatively no difference between them. Switching from one (SUSE, UBUNTU, Fedora, Manjaro) is similar to exchanging four quarters for a dollar.

why SSD over HDD, Performance over price and size. and quality of the product...

which Linux, well many already spoken of ubuntu and Mint, for a first timer, I would say peek at Q4OS, ii is based on Ubuntu, so its a solide Debian Linux base, but its geared towards Windows users migrating to Linux. Another less known Linux OS would be SOLUS, it is a complete scratch up Linux OS From Ireland and it Quite good even for a beginner/Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.