Question Win Media Player Burning Success, but Playback Failure...

michaelm101

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
So far I've burned 6 CDs of the same burn list in fastest, fast, medium and slow speeds. I've watched the progress.....99% then out comes the freshly-baked silver pie... Success!

HOWEVER, every CD fails to play in my 3 test CD players. "Invalid disc" or simply nothing is what I get...

PLEASE HELP!!!

A BIG thank you to all you amazing people out there who have ALWAYS solved my (ongoing) technical dilemmas!

A little more information would be helpful. What software including version number and hardware are you using to burn these CDs, and do the CDs play back on the device you used to burn them with any Windows based software? What manufacturer/brand are these CDs and did they ever work in the past or are these something you just purchased that's never been tested? What is the format of the files being burned; are these .wav or are these some other format like .mp3s that the burning software is supposedly converting during the burning process? And if they're not .wav files are you sure that the burning software is properly converting them during the burning process; perhaps the burning software is not set properly to convert them. Please walk us through every step in detail for the burning process you used.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Thx. All worked fine for the last 5 yrs- burning .wav material

CURRENTLY trying to burn FLAC, wav and MP3 onto this CD- maybe this is the issue???

Media player 12.0.19041.4957
Matshita DVD drive+RW
Thd CDs are being burned with the wrong stuff on them: There is a folder of the albums, then a another file: here's a photo:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ORMroha
I have burned tons of .wav, FLAC, MP3 and others to CD's for years. Not so much anymore. When I do it is always .FLAC at optimal settings using EZ CD audio converter or
anchient, not updated or supported for years, IMGBurn. https://www.imgburn.com/

Last edited:
Thx. All worked fine for the last 5 yrs- burning .wav material

CURRENTLY trying to burn FLAC, wav and MP3 onto this CD- maybe this is the issue???
CDs were invented to only play .wav files 2 channel 44100 Hz 16 bits. Back in ancient times after mp3s were invented there were special players manufactured to play those although I don't recall any being manufactured to play flac. If you don't have one of those special players with specs indicating it would play mp3s and flac then I wouldn't expect your disks to work.

Reactions: michaelm101

michaelm101

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
That got to be it
CDs were invented to only play .wav files 2 channel 44100 Hz 16 bits. Back in ancient times after mp3s were invented there were special players manufactured to play those although I don't recall any being manufactured to play flac. If you don't have one of those special players with specs indicating it would play mp3s and flac then I wouldn't expect your disks to work.
I thought that was it...Burned the CD entirely with only wav files...went through the motions, 100% complete...
Still got "invalid disk" on the CD players...

Last edited: