Question Win XP on Win 10 Machine

Dilbert41

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
I have some old software that won't run on Win 10, so I want to install Win XP on a seperate partition on my HDD and switch bootable drives when I need to use it. Can I do this without overwriting the boot info for Win 10? If so, are there XP drivers(sound, video)that will run on my hardware? I understand that I will need to disable Internet access for XP. I also have Win 7, but it's an OEM version from a comp that died a while back. Thanks for any help you can give.

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII HERO Rev 1.xx
4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700K

USAFRet

Titan
Dire Grove and some other games. Also have Adobe Photoshop and other software that I can't afford to replace. Got Virtual Box working, but seems not to be possible to activate xp. Thanks for the quick response.

See this similar thread for games in XP (or earlier) and a VM:

If you have a valid license key for XP, it WILL validate.

Photoshop?
Do you really need actual Photoshop? Unless thisis a paid gig, there are many cheap or free alternatives.
And if it is a paid gig, new Photoshop is just a business expense.

Dilbert41

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
See this similar thread for games in XP (or earlier) and a VM:

If you have a valid license key for XP, it WILL validate.

Photoshop?
Do you really need actual Photoshop? Unless thisis a paid gig, there are many cheap or free alternatives.
And if it is a paid gig, new Photoshop is just a business expense.
Not getting paid, but I like to tinker and experiment with my own photos, and Photoshop 6 gives me a lot more options to play with. As for the license key, it worked fine back in the day, but now I get a message that says I have typed it incorrectly. Anytime I have installed XP on a real machine using the cd, there has never been a problem. It's XP Pro, if that makes any difference.

I think I'm going to fix up one of my old machines and see how that goes.

Thank you for your help.

Jun 26, 2019
Not getting paid, but I like to tinker and experiment with my own photos, and Photoshop 6 gives me a lot more options to play with. As for the license key, it worked fine back in the day, but now I get a message that says I have typed it incorrectly. Anytime I have installed XP on a real machine using the cd, there has never been a problem. It's XP Pro, if that makes any difference.

I think I'm going to fix up one of my old machines and see how that goes.

Thank you for your help.
If the key doesn't work on the activation process, it might be the key expired. Normally microsoft allows you to use a windows key for 3 to 5 times, but past that, they'll deactivate it and you won't be able to use that key anymore, even being a legal one.

<Mod Edit>

luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still use PS6 myself, good Lord am cheapskate, but no, I just don't care wasting time learning new stuff. Am used to PS, other paint apps seem to go round-about ways to do simple things. PS like driving old reliable Toyota, don't need wasting time learning the i-drive or any of those "new" stuff, plus there is the satisfaction of bucking the update-update trend.