Win XP SP3 security while running TeamViewer

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
I have a old PC in family which is used primarily for a word-processing tasks. It is a Celeron 1,3 GHz (Pentium 3 architecture), 386 MB PC-133 RAM (upgradeable to 512 or more), with WinXP SP3. It is really outdated system but it is useful as it uses peripherals (printer, scanner) which are suitable only to WinXP (for instance, HP Laserjet 1000 printer drivers don't exist for newer versions of Windows).
Occasionally I do have the need to connect to that PC through Teamviewer. Is it safe to permanently run Teamviewer given the somewhat outdated OS and limited hardware capabilities of the PC? What can I do to ensure maximal possible security protection of that system?
Like I've said, there is not much secrecy going on on that PC so in case of a virus/malware attack there wouldn't be much of a loss, but I'm just precautious (and like to explore and tweak systems :D )
Thanks in advance.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Windows 10 or 8 need at least 1GB of ram to even run so thats not a solution for him.

If its just for basic word processing and running old hardware however I do agree that a free linux distro is WAY safer and better than Windows XP.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015

I'm not paranoid, just curious.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015

Is it possible to connect HP Laserjet 1000 and Canon Canoscan Lide 25 scanner in Linux, in a way that one can copy (scan-print) a document using one tap on the button found on a scanner (without doing anything else, clicking etc.)? If yes, I'll swich to Linux.

For what you are doing teamviewer is safe. You are just remoting into the PC and taking control of mouse and keyboard pretty much. On the client side (the XP machine) there is no way for it to send anything back to your PC unless you initiate the file transfer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That I do not know, I'm sorry.

bloodroses

Distinguished
One way to help security is to have everything run in a sandbox. That way if something does get compromised, only the sandbox will be affected.

http://www.sandboxie.com/