Win XP wont load, hangs at splash screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Unfortunitly my bios is PheonixBIOS, which doesn't give me that option. What a load of crap that is..... Its wierd, only thing that will work is Alt + Ctrl + Del. then it puts me into Seatools command prompt.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I mean when the Seatools Diagnostics tool comes up, the Alt + Ctrl + Del is the only thing that'll work. There is a command that says Ct.mouse.exe but still that doesn't seem to do anything either.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I might have one laying around somewhere. I'm also going to try maybe an older version of Seatools. I tried v. 222, going to try v. 220

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I tried v. 220 and it did the samething. Then I tried v. 110 and my keys did work but it didnt find my hard drive.

His laptop doesn't have a ps2 port, only 4 usb ports and LPT ports, etc. I tried Seatools v.220 on this computer and it worked fine. Not sure why it does that on the laptop.

I did see that others have had the same issue. One of the suggestions was to change it to a PS2 mode. However, without a PS2 mouse/port, that's not going to help you.
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/SeaTools/advised-to-run-Seatools-for-DOS-but-mouse-freezes/m-p/44303

Here's another option.
http://www.hdat2.com/
I've never used it, but it looks like it operates the same as seatools. It's one of the hard drive diagnostic tools frequently built into the UBCD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I ran the hdat2 and ultimate boot cd tests and the hard drive came up with no errors. I chatted with tech support from Seagate and they mention I should try and install the recovery drivers. He gave me a link to the HP website (which I cant find right now) on ways to install. The only option I might of been able to use was to put in the Operating System CD and press f6 to add a RAID or NTFS deal. When prompted for the drivers, it was telling me to insert a floppy disk when there isnt a floppy drive on the laptop. I need it to let me insert a CD but I dont know how.

If your XP disc is SP2 or SP3, and you're not running a RAID array, you shouldn't need to load any drivers at that F6 prompt.

I'd be interested to know what their 'recovery drivers' are. You've already done a full windows repair.

What you do, is download the SATA drivers from the motherboard's website, and put them on a bootable floppy disk. When you press F6 during the install, it'll check the floppy disk and load the drivers.

Another option, is to create a slipstreamed disk. You can use a program such as nlite, and you can download SP2 or SP3, and slipstream it into a new install disc. The newer SP's have the SATA support in them.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I got Windows XP Pro SP2 last night. I put it in, formatted and installed it and it is still doing the same thing. I used UBCD to find out what motherboard I have and it said:
Vendor: HP
Product: 089C
Version: 31.36
S/N: CND43501RHABCDEF

I've also read a forum on Microsofts website with an individual that was having the exact same problem. He did pretty much everything that I have done so far and when he went to update his BIOS, it fixed his issue. I went HP's website and found (I think) the BIOS for the my notebook but its an .exe file. Is there any way to open that?

it4pc

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

First off if you can get to safe mode options with F8 then try last known good config. that may load it. either way try the next steps. if last known good config don't work then go into safe mode like before and go to c:\windows. at the top of the toolbar go to tools and then folder options. click the view tab and tell it to show hidden files and folders. you'll see a huge list of folders probably that are blue and have $NTuninstal with a kb article. find that last update that was done. if you need to go to the list and show details to see date then do that. double click the $uninstall folder for the last update. that try and reboot.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Unfortunitly I've tried that. The laptop won't boot up in safe mode or last known config. When I try safe mode, it hangs up on mup.sys. I was told that by possibly updating my drivers might fix the mup.sys issue. So I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 (since its suppose to have the supported SATA drivers) but that didn't work either. It still hangs up on the loading screen and in every other boot operation.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Its the intel version of the BIOS. I've actually already downloaded that but since its an .exe file it won't start during the boot up operation.

Lycan_89

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
You repaired using Win XP SP2 ? Did not work no ?
Safe Mode ? No luck here I see .
HDD & RAM both ok ? I guess so .

Try installing Win 7 Pro :)
It solved a similar case for me, for an Fujitsu laptop ...but after a while it turned out to be a mainboard problem .
Give Win 7 a try ... after all, you've got nothing to lose .

Status
Not open for further replies.