Win10 clean install fails - missing media drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I'm a student and my university has a subscription to Dreamspark, so I got a Win10 key, along with an ISO-file from there. I'm using a Lenovo G700 and trying to perform a clean install from a bootable USB-stick.

I have tried creating this USB-stick with the "Win7 USB DVD Download Tool", using different guides from the internet with NTFS and Fat32 filesystem, launching the setup normally and through UEFI, using the "Media Creation Tool" (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create the USB-stick directly and downloading the ISO file first and creating a bootable USB-stick from that with all the methods above, but no matter which of these methods I use, I get the following error during installation:
"A media driver your computer needs is missing." (http://oi60.tinypic.com/2n1weuq.jpg)

Unfortunatley, I am currently running Win7 Pro x64 on my laptop and the following page says, that the upgrade to Win10 only works from Win8.1, not Win7: https://support.lenovo.com/sg/en/documents/ht103535#lenovonotebook

When I try to use the "Media Creation Tool" to instantly perform an upgrade, I get the following error:
"Something happened... 0x80070422 - 0x90016"

What drivers could the installation possibly be missing? I don't have any external devices plugged in, except for the bootable USB-stick, of course. I tried downloading all drivers for Win7 x64 and Win10 x64 from the Lenovo page (http://support.lenovo.com/sg/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g700-notebook) and pointing the setup to them, but none of them help.

Solution
Ok...this is the strangest f'ing solution, but it finally worked for me after spending 2 days trying to do a clean install.

I got this error trying to do a clean install from a USB stick. Try installing till you get this error...then X out of the error till you get the Install screen...then move the USB stick to another port and press Install.

Not sure why moving the USB stick to another port works, but it did for me.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I tried your solution, but it doesn't work :(
When I direct the installation to the folder to which i extracted the archive, I get the following list: http://oi61.tinypic.com/30lnimo.jpg
I have tried every single entry in that list and I always get this error: "No new devices drivers were found." (http://oi58.tinypic.com/3359qus.jpg)

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

No, it doesn't even get to that point... It asks for me for installation language (I pick US english) and after that, it immediately shows me the missing media driver error.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I don't quite understand your question :(
I have a Lenovo G700 with an i5-3230M cpu.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah, I don't get why I would need a driver for that, but it's the only one that remotely makes sense. CD-Drive is disabled (and enabling it doesn't make any difference) and USB works fine, as the installation starts from a USB-stick^^.

I also posted in the Microsoft forums, but they just told me to burn my DVD at a slower speed, so I'm guessing they haven't even read my entire post, because that answer just doesn't apply at all -.-, and in the Lenovo forums, where they told me that some drivers might be missing for Win10 to work at all on my machine, which doesn't make any sense either, because it says right on their own page, that the upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 works flawlessly, so a clean install should work as well.

I'm going to try to call the Lenovo support some day, maybe they can help... :(

kaiserc

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I have This same Problem to when trying to clean install Windows 10 on a new SSD (after already upgrading my laptop to windows 10 Home)
I have a lenovo IdeaPad Flex 10 and the SSD Is a Crucial BX100 250GB

biocoder

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
I had the exact same problem, also with a version from Dreamspark. In the end, I got it working by plugging the installation USB-stick into a USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0. No clue what difference that makes, but Windows suddenly wnt right into the next setup menu.

kaiserc

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

well thats okay if you have a usb 2.0 port - all i have is usb 3.0 :(

4TXTECH

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Ok...this is the strangest f'ing solution, but it finally worked for me after spending 2 days trying to do a clean install.

I got this error trying to do a clean install from a USB stick. Try installing till you get this error...then X out of the error till you get the Install screen...then move the USB stick to another port and press Install.

Not sure why moving the USB stick to another port works, but it did for me.

Solution

Ovan__87

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016

thanks a lot.. your solution very helpfull finally can install win10 in my asus A455LF

Abhinav_3

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

This is GOLD!!!!!

F**K I tried everything on the web. Everything!!! Nothing worked and this did!!!!

pasca1228

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Thank you. Even as a system administrator, this stumped me. Your solution of switching USB ports worked! Fantastic!

lewisnixon

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Same it worked idk why.
Installing it on a new skylake build
Thanks for the tip, you were a life saver!

Min Min Soe PTC

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Min Min Soe PTC

Commendable
May 14, 2016
I have this problem too. I followed this solution.
But that solution said that I need to format my Hard Drive. I don't want to format my HD because it contains some important data. Please kindly help me. :-(

Fita

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I have same problem here with brand new my Lenovo Z50-75 with AMD FX which I bought only has DOS. I tried to install Win 10 from CD drive. So I can't try one of those successful stories.
Please help.

pasca1228

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
If I've understood your post correctly, the only way you can install Windows 10 on a DOS-only machine is with the full version and a license key. Upgrades require a pre-existing version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 (8.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.