Question Win10 display name change in a restrictred environment

isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hello everyone!

In my workplace they upgraded everything to win10 and now every time when I log in, I see my full name. They 'have to' use my full name everywhere but I want to remove my first name (for personal reason), so I can't call the IT for that.
My account is an administrator but the control panel is heavily restricted. I already tried things like netplwiz, lusrmgr and some places in the regedit, but everywhere here I find my pc's name, which is a number and not my displayed name what I want to change.

I read many guides and watched a lot of tutorials, but where all they lead, I only found my pc's number. Any tips where can I find the right options? I feel the regedit will be the key but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for any help

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would note that this is a workplace computer and thus, subject to workplace policy. Moving forward with this could lead to disciplinary action upto and including termination. You REALLY should go through your company's IT resources.

-Wolf sends

isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
It gets user name from active directory. Only domain admin will be able to change your name in active directory.

Anyway - it's possible to make no name displayed at all. Here - instructions:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...-dont-display-username-sign-windows-10-a.html
I tried it now, the option is enabled (checked in the regedit too, the value is 1) but I still see my full name in the log-in screen.

I would note that this is a workplace computer and thus, subject to workplace policy. Moving forward with this could lead to disciplinary action upto and including termination. You REALLY should go through your company's IT resources.

-Wolf sends
My company knows my personal issue and they support me in it, but they just can't use anything else other than my full name. That's why I won't bother to change my email, etc. but the sign in name, what only I see every time and no one else, I just want to change it. Of course I don't want to touch my surname.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would STILL go through your IT department. Find ideas on how to do it and make these suggestions to your IT group. LET THEM test in on their test bench machines (so they can also test for any vulnerabilities) and LET THEM approve it. That way, you're in the clear.

-Wolf sends