Question Win10 needs repairing

Feb 13, 2019
Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7. Using a usb stick to boot, getting the 'Windows needs repairing' error message after selecting 64bit install. The loading bar fills up, looking promising - but then the needs repairing message..

The usb stick is a commercial product and the seller kindly sent me another good Win10 install stick, but I'm getting the same needs repairing error message on the replacement stick

The error message mentions hardware changes, which I have made, so I suspect something motherboardy is going on - but a usb stick install shouldn't abort a Win10 install for hardware changes surely?

The motherboard had a 960 ssd Win10 x64 install (licensed) originally, which developed corrupted files but would never fix them... thanks in advance for help

Thanks for helping Barty, much appreciated. It's been a curse so I've ordered an upgrade and will be back when trying to get that going, great forum

Why are you "ordering" an upgrade? The setup media is a free download from MS, you just need a flash drive to install it.

If your original Windows setup did not work, and your attempt to run a clean setup did not work, the SSD may be bad.

But you may be doing the setup wrong, if you do a clean Windows setup, you would not get a message about Windows needing to be repaired. It will just install Windows on the partition you select. Best way to do a clean Windows setup is to start clean, delete existing partitions, have Windows create a new one during setup. You will need to restore your files and programs from backups (programs will need a setup again).

If this new clean setup also does not work, contact support for the disk to get a replacement and try on that. Or find a spare somewhere and try the setup on that.

Feb 13, 2019
I was installing to a usb hard drive as the ssd became suspect. One of those tricky cases unfortunately with hardware difficult to faultfind. Thanks for helping, I'm sure I'll be back in for advice in this friendly forum on reinstalling later - truly much appreciated

I was installing to a usb hard drive as the ssd became suspect. One of those tricky cases unfortunately with hardware difficult to faultfind. Thanks for helping, I'm sure I'll be back in for advice in this friendly forum on reinstalling later - truly much appreciated

Windows is not meant to be installed on an external drive. Try another internal drive, or you will need to go through a bunch of steps to get the external working, just do a web search for installing Windows on an external drive.