win2kPro to win2kPro help

tHePeOPle

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2001
Hi, I am experiencing a problem trying to network 2 pc’s running win2k.

Background.. I was running win2kPro and winME on 2 different pc’s. Both pc’s have the exact same hardware. I had the network running between the two using a small (brand new) 5 port Linksys switch. I was using TCP/IP and a workgroup and everything was working fine, file transfers, games, etc. But, winME was performing poorly so I wiped the drive and installed win2kPro. This is where the problems start.

As I mentioned, each machine had the exact same hardware installed, and I know that it is not a hardware issue (no bad cables, etc.), since it worked with winME and win2kPro before. Now all I want to do is hook these machines to my little switch and transfer files. But, I am having some strange problems in 2k. Both machines are bare, only having win2k and the necessary drivers installed for the vid and network cards. Here is the setup I am trying to use.

Machine A Network stuff:
Client for MS networks
File and print sharing
TCP/IP
IP: 192.168.0.10
Msk: 255.255.255.0
Workgroup: “myoffice”
Drive D fully shared as “CompAShare”

Machine B Network stuff:
Client for MS networks
File and print sharing
TCP/IP
IP: 192.168.0.11
Msk: 255.255.255.0
Workgroup: “myoffice”
Drive D fully shared as “CompBShare”

I have the exact same user accounts set up on both machines. This is where the strange problems come in. Suppose I boot machine A first, then machine B and wait a few minutes for the machines to get the network running. When I try to browse the network neighborhood, say on Machine A, I can see machine B, but cannot access it. I get an error telling me that that cannot be accessed. Now, when I try to browse the network on Machine B, I get the error: “myoffice is not accessible. The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available.” The same errors occur in the opposite way depending on which machine I boot first. So, the machine that gets booted first can always ‘see’ the other, but cant access it, and the second machine can’t ‘see’ anything. It’s as if the first machine booted somehow dominates the network.

Now, I did try uninstalling all the protocols and using just using NetBEUI, but that resulted in each machine only being able to see itself in the workgroup and not the other machine. I was thinking that this, at the very minimum, should work, but nope.

So, if anyone has seen this, or if you have ever gotten two win2kPro machines to work peer to peer using a hub/switch, please tell me how you set up the machines. I have searched the web, and even the Microsoft site for answers and have not been able to find a solution. This seems like possibly a matter of one setting or something, but it is eluding me. Thanks for any help.

ps. sorry for the long post, thanks for sticking with it, if you got this far!

thanks,
-s

TRENDING THREADS