Win8.1 Blank Screen & Update Failures

PeachJuice

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Today I turned my pc on and I got a message saying something like "your pc has run into a problem...."
I can't read the whole message because it stays on for a second, goes blank, then restarts.

After it reboots, it says
"preparing automatic repair"
while it's loading, then it goes blank and stays blank. It displays nothing, but the monitor remains on, and doesn't go to sleep like it usually would.

I've looked into this problem on Google and found some solutions, but they dont mention the screen going blank like mine does, so I really don't know what to do here...

Any and all help is appreciated :??:

Before this happened, for like 2-3 weeks, my system has been unable to update.

"failure configuring windows updates. undoing changes. do not restart your computer"

is what I'd see time and time again. I tried doing it without any external drives or discs plugged in...still didn't work. I looked up this issue on Google too, and ended up downloading software that fixes issues with windows update, but it still didn't solve the issue.

Any ideas?

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Couple things I'll include all in one post:

Can you change the port that your monitor is plugged in to, and try restarting the machine?
Can you get into safe mode?
Can you get into the BIOS?

If you can get into the BIOS, can you enable/check error logs?
Can you make sure that your video settings are correct (boot to external graphics card perhaps)?