Win8.1 login screen: Can't type into the password box anymore?

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
This really odd issue just popped up out of nowhere. When starting up Windows 8.1, I get to the logon screen, but he password box simply doesn't work. Meaning when I type, no black dots appear. The keyboard otherwise works, for example, hitting SPACE removes the fancy picture and gets me to the login.

I'm running Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on a 15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010. I have tried:

1) Disconnecting all external devices such as usb, display, even power. This worked ONCE, but upon restarting, the same problem reappeared and now I can't login.

2) Launch into the trouble-shooting mode and....

2 a) ... try to refresh the system. Windows prompts me to insert the install disc which I did. It then says it's not a valid one. I might say I burned this DVD myself from an image I downloaded from MS. (I have a proper license of course).

2 b) ... Launch into safe mode. This didn't work. I can't remember why.

3) Lauch from the install DVD I have and enter repair mode..

3 a) ... Refresh the system: Error: The drive Windows is installed on is locked. Unlock the drive and try again (???).

3 b) ... Diagnose Problems / Repair. Goes into diagnosing and then pops an error that it couldn't repair the system.

I might add that I have managed to get into this repair mode via hitting Shift F8 upon startup only once. I have tried again numerous times and I just can't get there anymore.

I really have no idea what to do other than taking the sledgehammer to it and wipe the HD and reinstall Windows 8 from scratch. This is really rather frustrating as none of the fallback recovery mechanisms are any good.

Solution

Check and see if you can click on the Ease of Access button at the bottom left of the password screen. If you can't get it to bring up the menu try hitting Ctrl and Alt together. I get this all the time due to the filter keys function somehow triggering... because nothing is more "Ease of Access" than not being able to enter your password, right? Generally this will allow you to enter your password again.

I think this happens sometimes as a consequence...

plaintuts

Admirable
Thats kinda hard to diagnose since your running bootcamp.. from a mac OS

this is more related to I/O conflict with an OS rather than a problem with the windows features.

Have you tried to update softwares related to bootcamp? It may also be a bug that has not been patched yet.

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I lost patience, wiped the HD and reinstalled Windows. The login worked fine again and I went on to install updates, software (TotalCmd, VMWare, Skype, Steam, Wuala, Java) and updates, Windows 8.1 from the store.

Guess what? I'm getting the same problem again!

This is absolutely ridiculous. I worked with Win8 on this machine for two years or so (since dev preview). Suddenly it's getting wrecked after installing the latest updates? This can't be happening.

Funny that both the integrated notebook keyboard and the external USB keyboard have the same behavior. They basically work except no input into the password field is possible.

What black magic is this??

Mailbags

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I have the same issue.

My machine is a brand new HP Pavilion notebook. Windows 8.1 was pre-installed. All I have done is allowed windows updates to be done.

At the welcome screen, I cannot type anything into the password box. I can, however, click on icons on that screen (including the icon which submits the password), so the screen is not completely hung.

Anyone solve this?

Mailbags

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
It seems my problem is that the computer thinks the Ctrl key is depressed. Try typing into the Windows logon password box while holding the Ctrl key down - nothing types in there. Pressing both Ctrl keys at the same time cures the problem temporarily - anyone know a permanent fix?

Paul_Par

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Check and see if you can click on the Ease of Access button at the bottom left of the password screen. If you can't get it to bring up the menu try hitting Ctrl and Alt together. I get this all the time due to the filter keys function somehow triggering... because nothing is more "Ease of Access" than not being able to enter your password, right? Generally this will allow you to enter your password again.

I think this happens sometimes as a consequence of using Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock your computer.

Solution

ElectricHumanBeing

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015

It's working. Thank you. I've really tired to restart my machine every time the issue occurs.

Rojyates

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I had a similar issue - came back to my laptop, clicked to logon but every time I started typing my password it jumped back to the login main page again. Little kids had been in and reading some of the other posts got me thinking about stuck keys, so I systematically pressed every single key on the keyboard in turn and tried again. Hey presto! I could now enter my password!!! So root cause: Stuck key somewhere thanks to little fingers...

Sep 8, 2019
I solved it permanently.
While reading one answer above I got the idea that one of the ctrl key is misbehaving. So I opened on screen keyboard to see if my ctrl key is on (it was getting on off repeatedly). When it shows the ctrl key white, I used to off that and type the password. Like that I logged in once and then installed sharpkey key disabling app and disabled the defective ctrl key. To know that, you have to go to the add key then type key and wait... They defective key will randomly become active and get caught in the app... Then you can disable it (in my case it was the right ctrl key).

In case you can't access the on screen keyboard (try to find short cut for accessing that using mobile) ,you can simply keep pressing the two ctrl keys randomly so that it behave normal for once (like we do with other machine my shaking or slapping it, ;)...

Once you get in.. Disable that criminal key...