Win98SE hard drive limit?

I'm about to put a new system together to run Windows 98SE. I'll be using an
80GB hard drive, and FAT32 of course. The motherboard is quite recent so
there won't be a BIOS limitation, but is there a limit as to how large a
hard drive (or partition) Win98SE can use?

"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote:

>I'm about to put a new system together to run Windows 98SE. I'll be using an
>80GB hard drive, and FAT32 of course. The motherboard is quite recent so
>there won't be a BIOS limitation, but is there a limit as to how large a
>hard drive (or partition) Win98SE can use?

The practical limit for FAT32 partitions is 128 gb (137 billion
bytes). Scandisk and Defrag will not operate on partitions larger
than that.

Note that the fdisk version included with your Windows 98 may not work
properly on your 80 gb hard drive:

Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
Article ID : 263044
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=263044

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

The Fdisk.exe utility may not be able to create a hard disk partition that is
larger than 128 GB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327202

Fdisk.exe Unable to Partition Drives Larger Than 512 Gigabytes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280737

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to put a new system together to run Windows 98SE. I'll be using an
> 80GB hard drive, and FAT32 of course. The motherboard is quite recent so there
> won't be a BIOS limitation, but is there a limit as to how large a hard drive
> (or partition) Win98SE can use?

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will check out those links.

I have a Maxtor utility for preparing new hard drives, and if Fdisk won't
work I think that probably will. Actually I'll most likely be using the
Maxtor software instead of Fdisk anyway. That's the only likely issue then,
correct? As long as I can set up an 80GB FAT32 partition, Win98SE will have
no problem with it?

Thanks again.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:16:22 -0400, "Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net>
wrote:

>Thanks to all of you for your help. I will check out those links.
>
>I have a Maxtor utility for preparing new hard drives, and if Fdisk won't
>work I think that probably will. Actually I'll most likely be using the
>Maxtor software instead of Fdisk anyway. That's the only likely issue then,
>correct? As long as I can set up an 80GB FAT32 partition, Win98SE will have
>no problem with it?
>
>Thanks again.

I used Max Blast 3 to setup my 80GB Maxtor drive, FAT 32, using
Win98 SE. Works well.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

The 80GB will work out fine, considering the bios you mentioned you had.
You can make one partition, or many, matters not.

There's alot of mis/disinformation on 98 running on hard disks over 128GB.
Look here for the truth:
http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm

In addition, the OS will wrap at 128GB of data, and trash the FAT32
filesystem on at least one partition on that drive has been my experience.

"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to put a new system together to run Windows 98SE. I'll be using
an
> 80GB hard drive, and FAT32 of course. The motherboard is quite recent so
> there won't be a BIOS limitation, but is there a limit as to how large a
> hard drive (or partition) Win98SE can use?

Thanks for the info and the link. That answers a lot of questions.

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:16:22 -0400, "Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks to all of you for your help. I will check out those links.
>>
>>I have a Maxtor utility for preparing new hard drives, and if Fdisk won't
>>work I think that probably will. Actually I'll most likely be using the
>>Maxtor software instead of Fdisk anyway. That's the only likely issue
>>then,
>>correct? As long as I can set up an 80GB FAT32 partition, Win98SE will
>>have
>>no problem with it?
>>
>>Thanks again.
>
> I used Max Blast 3 to setup my 80GB Maxtor drive, FAT 32, using
> Win98 SE. Works well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Thanks, Bill. MaxBlast 3 is just what I intend to use, so that's good news.