Question Windows 10 1903 update failing at second boot

Oct 29, 2019
error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017
Lenovo G580 laptop.
HDD replaced by SSD months ago.
I have followed every step I could find online to solve this.
Updated BIOS.
Drivers up-to-date.
Switched off Firewall, disconnected from wireless/internet.
Performed a clean boot.
Deleted SoftwareDistribution folder.
Done the SFC Scan thing.

I have tried windows update manager, installing from a USB, troubleshooting...
I'm out of ideas.

Oct 29, 2019
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.5GHz
SSD - hfs500g32tnd-n1a0a

When new, windows 7, updated to windows 10.
It has previously had problems with major windows updates (crashed, solved by clean install of latest version).

This time windows automatically reverts to previous version of windows. I have tried auto-update also downloading latest iso file. makes no difference.

There are not many programs installed - mainly used for web surfing & watching movies. So re-installing progs after a fix wouldn't be a major issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
steps you can take
  • Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times and try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Do a clean boot and try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again.
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disc, printers, non-essential devices).
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...7/034e538b-78ab-4ebd-89b8-633d812ddb02?auth=1

Oct 29, 2019
I am not familiar with SCSI hard disk.
The SSD is Serial ATA.
Apart from that, I have tried all the other steps.

I will try the reset, reinstall, clean install options in that order.

I can't think of anything else to try.

Oct 29, 2019
The original HDD was replaced with an SSD >6 months ago.
I have re-fitted the original HDD and using the Windows Update Assistant have successfully installed the 1903 update.

I have 2 options -
Update the original HDD with latest drivers and if it still works ok, clone to the SSD before re-fitting the SSD.
Or
Try the try the Windows 10 reset, reinstall, clean install options in that order on the SSD.

Off topic -
What pushed me to replace the HDD with SSD was a ridiculously long boot time of 7 minutes, plus another couple of minutes for first launch of each application ie internet browser, office applications etc. I never did get to the bottom of that - even a clean install didn't fix it. SSD boots in ~30 secs and applications open near instantly. I'd forgotten how bad the HDD was until I put it back in.

Oct 29, 2019
Re-installed Windows 10, saving files but deleting apps.
Worked fine and as there is not much stuff on this laptop it took less time than all the previous faffing about, even including re-installing the apps.
I dread the Windows major updates because each time has meant a clean install and I don't know why.
The only thing different with the 1903 update was it reverted to previous version automatically upon failure.
Earlier updates gave BSOD and forced a reset/clean install.