Question Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Hi all

I upgraded my PCs to Windows 10 2004 release on the day it became available on 28th May.
I’ve noticed since then that there are no new updates in Windows update when I check. I thought after 5 days there would at least be a security update or some other kind of update.

Normally after previous windows 10 version upgrades Windows update would have spat out am update of some sort by now.

Is Microsoft holding off on any updates for the troublesome May 2020 release now?

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
It could be the list of problems in 2004 was high enough that they want to release the fixes all at once. It might be we wait a while as it was pulled pretty quick.

there are a few they need to make before other people can download 2004 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004
Good point, they may release all the fixes at once.
When you say it was pulled pretty quickly are you saying Microsoft have stopped it being available? I got my upgrade with the Microsoft upgrade assistant.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I haven't had any problems so far with 2004? Have you?

No update is perfect, they all need fixes after release, several of them have in fact. This isn't the first one thats been delayed due to bugs.

version updates originally were meant to come out in March & Sept of each year, but as bugs have caused delays, its slipped to point we get them in May/November now, and with this one, its likely people won't get it to JUne.. so its slipping further and its why the version numbers have gone from numeric - 1909 to something else... 19H2

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't had any problems so far with 2004? Have you?

No update is perfect, they all need fixes after release, several of them have in fact. This isn't the first one thats been delayed due to bugs.
No problems and it is running smooth, however all the bad news floating around the internet about it did make me lose confidence. You kindly answered my question the other day on here when I was worried about windows 10 defragging an SSD, remember me?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I remember the question, i don't always remember the people who asked it unless they keep returning :)

I haven't had any problems caused by any version updates, I just see them on here. I wonder why I don't get them, but I don't worry about it. Every version update gets the doom and gloom articles, but they get fixed. Don't worry, be happy :)

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I remember the question, i don't always remember the people who asked it unless they keep returning :)

I haven't had any problems caused by any version updates, I just see them on here. I wonder why I don't get them, but I don't worry about it. Every version update gets the doom and gloom articles, but they get fixed. Don't worry, be happy :)
I'll keep an eye on it. One of our computers has Office 2016 pro with a volume activation as opposed to retail activation. The volume licence/activation version of Office 2016 still uses Windows update to get its updates as opposed to within one of the office apps itself. The installer disk I use for this volume office 2016 is several years old and almost always windows update will straight away try to download updates, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 2004 and Office 2016 volume licence and Windows update is not giving any updates for that either so I think Microsoft have suspended any updates windows or other Microsoft products) from Windows update in Windows 10 2004 for now

It could be the list of problems in 2004 was high enough that they want to release the fixes all at once. It might be we wait a while as it was pulled pretty quick.

there are a few they need to make before other people can download 2004 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004
It's not. I've had security updates every day since the release.

The exception might be if you are using a third party antivirus or malware scanner solution, and do not get updates for Windows defender, then there may have not been any over the past few days.

As far as the Office applications go, they will ALL get their updates from within Windows update if you click on the advanced options at the bottom of the list of actions on the Windows update page and then move the slider to ON for "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows".

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
It's not. I've had security updates every day since the release.

The exception might be if you are using a third party antivirus or malware scanner solution, and do not get updates for Windows defender, then there may have not been any over the past few days.

As far as the Office applications go, they will ALL get their updates from within Windows update if you click on the advanced options at the bottom of the list of actions on the Windows update page and then move the slider to ON for "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows".
I do I have one PC without 3rd party anti virus that has the latest windows 10 and I checked it and yes I did see an update for Windows defender.
As for the other matter I do have "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" set as yes. That was the first thing I checked.

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
So that should be normal then, because I haven't seen ANY new updates at all except for definition updates to Windows defender, since upgrading to the latest version 2004.
Seems odd. Everytime I’ve upgraded the Windows 10 version I would have had an update by now. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I have one device that's not part of my Asus x570 mboard other than the onboard wifi and that's a usb audio device. I removed that driver and Windows 2004 still said that my computer was not ready.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well,you can try to get ahead of windows update although this might tell you the same thing.
Go to this page - link - and click the Update now button.
That will download the update assistant.
Run it and see if it lets you install 2004 now.

Otherwise check the asus support site for your motherboard and see if you have the newest drivers as that can be a reason for a delay.

Several 100 million PC have win 10 on them, it could be MS are trying to slow down the rate people get them so that their servers don't get overloaded. They often update PC that had win 10 preinstalled on them by OEM first.

gkdofaus

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Windows updates on Tuesday, except for when there are VERY critical security updates or when there are virus and malware definition updates. Otherwise, that's why it's called "Patch Tuesday"

There shouldn't be any new updates unless you change hardware or something else comes up, except on Tuesdays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday
nah no updates Tuesday this week, it's been 8 days now since I upgraded to Windows 10 2004 and nothing in Windows update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only Cumulative updates so far this month have been for Server 2016 - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2020-06 (there aren't any now anyway, if you look at a later time, there might be)

There were no Win 10 updates in May (apart from some from Insider preview) - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2020-05

in case you wondering, that page would include all versions of Windows as you can see from April - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2020-04

So you aren't missing anything as apart from Defender updates, there aren't any yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.