[SOLVED] Windows 10 apps hanging, causing Task bar and Explorer to freeze ?

icy_fox

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys, I have been having this problem for a while now and am not sure what the cause of it is. The problem only happens when launching Windows (UWP) programs, such as Mail, Calculator, Calendar, or even by simply opening the start menu or the sound settings. I have pretty much eliminated hardware problems (swapped almost every part out) and also any virus/bloatware related issues (reinstalled Windows multiple times). Once the freeze happens, the only thing that seems to be is either: a) Using task manager to restart Explorer (which doesn't always work) or b) restarting the pc/signing out of my account. It somehow resolves itself, but can take quite a while (for example, the calculator shows up, everything freezes and I can't use the calculator, but after 5-10s everything recovers). Does anyone have similar issues or is able to help me out? Thanks!

My PC specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB 3000 Mhz G-Skill RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB
Asus B450-M Prime motherboard
512GB Crucial SSD
Windows 10 Pro on the 20H2, although the issue hasn't started on this update

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

icy_fox

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Thanks for the tip, I figured it out. It was a startup program called Program (lol), which is apparently an update client/installer for MS Teams which caused the freezing. Disabling it on startup completely fixed the crashes