[SOLVED] Windows 10 Bluescreen multiple codes while gaming/video rendering

May 2, 2020
Hello everyone,

a few months ago i started to get infrequent Bluescreens on my Machine, almost always while gaming.
I tried to narrow it down:
  • Checked temps
  • Updated all (relevant) drivers (bios, gpu, chipset)
  • Updated Windows
  • chkdsk and sfc (nothing found, all good)
  • S.M.A.R.T.-Values of all drives (all good)
  • Memtest86 (free version with only 4 passes)
After a while i got suspicous of the RAM, and after running the other memtest86 i indeed got errors.
I purchased new RAM and the problem got better, but is not completely gone.

Since i'm at the end of my wits i hope you guys have some more pointers.

Unfortunately i only activated minidumps recently and only five. The one from April 13th is the last one before i changed RAM, the newer ones are with new RAM.

Today i found out how to effectively provoke a Bluescreen, by generating a high load while Video Rendering, there are the last two Dump-Files from.
I get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL messages, but got other ones in the past.

System Specs:
Mainboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (slightly overclocked, but still below what the system is capable of)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G

The dump files should be accessible here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1txv7Foh08LFbngf5dwL2ZRfq1rLuBqUB

If i should provide more information i will gladly do it.

Thanks in advance, anything helps!

Last edited:
Solution
Try to save bios profile and reset f5 everything. After reset go to ram setting and choose 3200 xmp profile, see if it works.

Thank you for your help.!!! so much!!

I F5 reset, and only changed dram to 3200 mhz - it did not boot, so then I changed again, F5, and changed profile to XMP, everything else the same(auto) except again 3200 mhz set on the dram,....and it worked, I am getting 3200, and benchmark at 103%

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...mhz-not-3200-asus-rog-maximus-x-hero.3196876/

could be a habit of Asus XMP to set it at 2747 as it happened in case above.
May 2, 2020
Hello Colif,

thank you for answering!

PSU: 650 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 Modular 80+ Platinum

I just looked, the CPU is not overclocked since the BIOS-Update, so it does not seem to be related.

Regards

Edit: If there is a more convenient format for the dump files that i can convert them to beforehand i would do that gladly.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://sulkiercut.htmlpasta.com/
File information:050220-6187-01.dmp (May 2 2020 - 13:21:42)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:050220-6015-01.dmp (May 2 2020 - 13:25:07)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:043020-7734-01.dmp (Apr 30 2020 - 13:48:21)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:5 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:042420-6140-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 16:39:40)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: Mordhau-Win64-)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

File information:041320-7390-01.dmp (Apr 13 2020 - 15:34:26)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: TaleWorlds.Mou)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

You can use the debugger to view the basic info about the dumps, but the problem is that it takes a while to learn the commands and how to use them, and you don't have the driver descriptions that we can provide for you. You can get the Debugger Preview from the Windows store, but we still recommend you upload the dump files as we can pull more info from them.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 2201 and the latest is version 2401. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try updating lan drivers
Jun 11 2018e1i65x64.sysIntel(R) Gigabit Adapter driver
Oct 17 2018rtwlane.sysRealtek PCI-E Wireless LAN NIC NDIS driver h
both of these have newer version on Asus website, The Wifi on your board is labelled Asus but I have to guess its realtek chips hence reason you have realtek drivers above. Its lableled as ASUS Wi-Fi Driver on the website - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

if game is online it could all be LAN drivers.

May 2, 2020
Hey everyone,

thanks for the replies.
I updated both of the LAN drivers (Gigabit Adapter and Wireless).
Unfortunately while playing a game it happened again, a System Service Exception this time.

Dump file is in the folder or as direct link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-mCYCKmI6vKFJbJFPFw7smQ4t5-RoEOv

I did not flash the bios, as gardenman said i should wait for other answers first, but i put i high in my priority list.

I had MSI Afterburner installed since building the PC (Mid 2018), never had problems so far but i have heard it can cause problems. Should i uninstall it?
I use it to check temps and memory usage over time sometimes.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://ignitedbadger.htmlpasta.com/

File information:minidump_03042020.dmp (May 3 2020 - 15:37:41)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Borderlands3.e)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your system has been reporting a live Kernel event error every minute since 16.52 on the 3rd of May. No wonder the system info timed out.
you had 2 BSOD in a row on 2nd May but nothing seems to have set off the Kernel events.
I can't really read what they say since they are in German (I assume)

but if you open System Information
on right hand column there are headers, one is Software environment
expand this and look in Windows Error Reporting
its not sorted in date order and don't try as it messes it up more. Instead scroll through list and look at 2nd column. All the errors under the Type heading called Windows Error reporting are the ones you want.

It is not normal to get an error every minute

can you tell me what the lines say?
pAZlTDA.jpg

as its a page full of same event. I haven't seen this before??

May 2, 2020
Oh wow, that does not look good...
You are correct, its german.
I translated the (readable) parts, here without the gibberish inbetween:

03.05.2020 19:23 Windows Error Reporting Errorbucket , Typ 0;Event name: LiveKernelEvent;Answer: Not Available;CAB-File-ID: 0;;Problem signature:p1: 3000040;P2: 2;P3: fffff3822c13f4f0;;P4: 1b0d;;P5: 0;;P6: 10_0_18363;P7: 0_0;P8: 256_1;P9: ;P10: ;Attached Files:\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\RealTek\RealTek-20200503-2123.dmp;\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-93448359-0.sysdata.xml\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF132.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF143.tmp.xml\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF270.tmp.csv\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF281.tmp.txt;These Files are possibly here:\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_3000040_1fc25dc64f156374524459fe8f311f331f06bc0_00000000_a03ab0e2-60c8-4136-834f-d0fdf51faff1;Analysis Symbol: ;Searching for a solution:;Report-ID: a03ab0e2-60c8-4136-834f-d0fdf51faff1;Report status: 4;Bucket with Hash: ;CAB-File-Guid: 0

Full Line:
03.05.2020 19:23 Windows Error Reporting Errorbucket , Typ 0
Event name: LiveKernelEvent
Answer: Not Available
CAB-File-ID: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 3000040
P2: 2
P3: fffff3822c13f4f0
P4: 1b0
P5: 0
P6: 10_0_18363
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9: 
P10: 

Attached Files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\RealTek\RealTek-20200503-2123.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-93448359-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF132.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF143.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF270.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF281.tmp.txt

These Files are possibly here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_3000040_1fc25dc64f156374524459fe8f311f331f06bc0_00000000_a03ab0e2-60c8-4136-834f-d0fdf51faff1

Analysis Symbol: 
Searching for a solution: 0
Report-ID: a03ab0e2-60c8-4136-834f-d0fdf51faff1
Report status: 4
Bucket with Hash: 
CAB-File-Guid: 0

May 2, 2020
Did that all start happening after we updated the realtek LAN drivers?

because that would be my guess. Where did you get the update from?

Yes i think so. I got them from the official ASUS-Page for the Mainboard.
I had the same thought and reinstalled the drivers yesterday evening.
That seems to have worked, as there are no entries for today (5th of May) in the System Information so far.

I had another BSOD yesterday evening, i will upload the Minidump later today and link it here. Interestingly it was a System Service Exception and the process that caused it was WerFault.exe (Windows Error Reporting?) It still happened while gaming.

Thank you for your help so far!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i found different drivers but they dated 2 years before the Asus ones.
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8723de-software
but as they seem to work now, I wouldn't change it. Strange Asus have newer drivers, they appear to have upgraded their copies 6 times since realtek released their drivers.

At least you guessed what werfault means.

I assume BSOD was after the driver change. Do you wifi? My PC has both as well but ethernet speed is so much better. I blame my router for being old Wifi.

May 2, 2020
Here is the link to the latest BSOD: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Is99LbKP80PlW1iJQcAaNIdnfhu6kzL7
Yes that happened after updating the drivers the first time yesterday.

I use ethernet only for this pc.

Edit: Can i delete some of the system information error reports or will it be needed for future analysis?
Edit 2: I remebered that i updated the BIOS over the EZ Update function of the BIOS itself, it is supposed to install the latest BIOS-Version via Internet. Turns out it does not use the latest version, but the one before it.
So updating to the version gardenman mentioned is still an options.

What else could i do/try?

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Ok i disabled wifi, but i dont think its the root cause, the pc ran the first year with wifi only (had not strung cables around).

I mean the tens of thousands of windows error reports, the ones you said have never seen so many of the same before. Thought it might not hurt to remove some of them.

If i should provoke more bluescreens (trying to render something again) i can do that if that would help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't think wifi or lan would have anything to do with pc crashing during rendering, I would look at gpu drivers over that (and you do have latest nvidia drivers)

Yeah, you can delete those reports. The drivers must not have installed right the first time.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://rangierblow.htmlpasta.com/

File information:050420-5906-01.dmp (May 4 2020 - 16:18:17)
Probably caused by:hardware (Process: WerFault.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Edit 2: I remebered that i updated the BIOS over the EZ Update function of the BIOS itself, it is supposed to install the latest BIOS-Version via Internet. Turns out it does not use the latest version, but the one before it.
So updating to the version gardenman mentioned is still an options.

Its unclear if it does anything apart from add extra support from Optane

Why is your ram running at 2747MHZ?

RAM: 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
are you running XMP? I assume not as that is a reason 3200 runs ar 2747,

Not sure if speed difference might cause BSOD.

May 2, 2020
Its unclear if it does anything apart from add extra support from Optane

Why is your ram running at 2747MHZ?

are you running XMP? I assume not as that is a reason 3200 runs ar 2747,

Not sure if speed difference might cause BSOD.

I dont know why the RAM is running at that speed. I had the default XMP-Profile active until now but disabled it also yesterday while looking over the BIOS (just in case).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try to save bios profile and reset f5 everything. After reset go to ram setting and choose 3200 xmp profile, see if it works.

Thank you for your help.!!! so much!!

I F5 reset, and only changed dram to 3200 mhz - it did not boot, so then I changed again, F5, and changed profile to XMP, everything else the same(auto) except again 3200 mhz set on the dram,....and it worked, I am getting 3200, and benchmark at 103%

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...mhz-not-3200-asus-rog-maximus-x-hero.3196876/

could be a habit of Asus XMP to set it at 2747 as it happened in case above.

Solution
May 2, 2020
Sorry for not answering in this thread a long time.
I had a few weeks where i could not play much so i did not have more bluescreens.
In the last days i could play for a bit more and had no more bluescreens.
I am not really sure which of the changes did it, so i'm not sure which post to mark as the answer.

Still thank you very much Colif and gardenman for the support!

Reactions: Colif