Windows 10 boot process not detecting hard drive

peter 555

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
My question is this.
Is there a way of requesting windows re-scan and build fresh picture of connected devices on boot and not use saved settings ?

I have a newish PC. Came with windows 10 pre-installed.
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-D3H
There are 4 Sata III ports 0,1,2 and 3 with white connectors

All the ports are set up the same way in BIOS :-
Integrated SATA controller enabled
ACHI enabled
All 3 ports enabled
All 3 ports hot swap enabled

I have tried 2 data cables - both worked on port 3
The data cables have clicked home
I have reinstalled windows 10

When hard drive connected to SATA port 3 windows detects and hard drive works correctly and in regular use with data stored.
The drive has been scanned for errors by right click and running error checking
When hard drive connected to SATA port 2 hard drive shows in BIOS but not detected by windows 10
When hard drive reconnected to SATA port 3 windows detects and hard drive works correctly once again.
When hard drive reconnected to SATA port 2 hard drive - shows in BIOS but not detected by windows 10 again

The hard drive does not appear in device manager or disk management
I ran windows troubleshooter but still not detected

I booted from Linux mint with the hard drive still connected to port 2
The hard drive is detected and shows in list of available drives in Linux

Rebooted windows 10
This time the hard drive on port 2 was detected by windows 10
The hard drive appears in device manager and disk management and is working correctly.
My guess is that after a preceeding boot from Linux, Windows is getting triggered to start over and do a full scan of what is connected.

This intermittent issue has happened a number of times with different hard drives and different ports.
My best guess is sometimes windows does not detect connected hard drives at a lower level
as it not carrying out a full scan of what is connected and is making assumptions using settings stored from previous sessions.
Sometimes hard drives appear in device manager or disk management and sometimes not.

It looks like the problem caused by the boot/startup process of windows 10 not working correctly.
As it is sometimes not detecting a spinning connected hard drive that is in full working order.
I googled for info about the startup process and this is starting to look complex with much for me to learn.

Is there a way of requesting windows re-scan and build fresh picture of connected devices on boot and not use saved settings ?

Thank you for any responses.

peter 555

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Update.

Looks like the cause is random losses of power.
Suspect PSU or power cables to hard drives.

I have been plugging hard drives into different SATA ports and swapping cables around and testing with backups of large files.
The backups keep hanging with disk usage at 100%
On restart and going into BIOS the SATA port is showing empty and nothing connected.
I noticed the hard drive was not spinning.
It looks like there have been random losses of power to hard drives which causes BIOS to show the SATA ports as empty.
I am going to change all the powercables and test the PSU.
It looks a power supply issue.
The mobo and all the hard disks seem not to be the cause.
Thanks

Hey there & welcome, @Peter!

I'm sorry for the late reply to your issue. You have done a great job with the troubleshooting, though! :)
I'd recommend you go to your motherboard manufacturer's official website and make sure you manually update to the latest SATA controller & Chipset drivers for your mobo. While on it, check the BIOS version and make sure you got the latest one as well.
Have you tried resetting BIOS so far?
It will get your settings back to factory defaults, so you will need to re-configure any manual changes you have made in the BIOS. However, it might also help with the proper detection of the HDD from the SATA_2 port.

I'd strongly recommend you contact the reseller's/manufacturer's customer support If you do suspect the PSU to be the source of the issue. Your system is relatively new so it should still be covered by the warranty. Tampering with the hardware by yourself could void it, so you better not take that risk and send an RMA request if a component has failed.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions or concerns.
SuperSoph_WD