[SOLVED] Windows 10 broken taskbar

Dz6900

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
As of one day ago I noticed the the taskbar UI is completely bugged for me. I'm unable to press buttons on the calendar and start menu because a random button will be highlighted. Once I used the arrow keys to navigate the menu I noticed that the UI would treat it as though a random arrow key was being held, which is why the rightmost or leftmost option would always be selected in my start menu and calendar interface. This is exclusive to those two UI, Browsers, Games, etc. work fine. Restarting explorer.exe does nothing. How do I fix this?

[UPDATE] I checked for and updated to the latest version of windows, which solved it.

Last edited:
Solution
Can you check and see what version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on at the time of writing? What are the specs to your build? Is your system a prebuilt or a laptop or a DIY build? While you're yet able to navigate in the GUI, you might want to take some time and backup any and/or all critical content that might be on the OS installation drive in case you need to reinstall your OS.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see what version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on at the time of writing? What are the specs to your build? Is your system a prebuilt or a laptop or a DIY build? While you're yet able to navigate in the GUI, you might want to take some time and backup any and/or all critical content that might be on the OS installation drive in case you need to reinstall your OS.

Solution

Dz6900

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Says version 20H2, OS build 19042.1237.
system is my own build, Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060, 16GB ram. Also just found out this bug occurs in the settings menu as well, so basically any UI tied to the OS.