Question [Windows 10] Cannot make two computers on same network communicate.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
I wasn't sure if i should have posted this on Networking or Windows 10 so forgive me if it's the wrong category.
Anyways, today i was trying to share some files between my Desktop pc (cable) and laptop (wi-fi), without success.
At first i noticed that if i pinged the desktop with the laptop, the desktop replied, but if i pinged the laptop from the desktop the laptop didn't, solved it by changing some firewall rules, but the main problem is still there: if i share a folder with everyone from my Dt. or Lt. neither can see it in the "Network" tab in the file explorer nor if i type the address in the explorer (\\PCNAME\folder etc.), i've made sure that they both have file share enabled and that the firewall isn't blocking them. What do you think?

Edit: ok so...if i share a folder on the desktop, and i go into the network path of the desktop itself, it shows the folder, but if i open it it says it couldn't reach itself...

Last edited:

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
replace PCNAME with it's ip addr. see if that changes it.
Nope.
This is driving me nuts; this morning i tried again, and after messing with firewall rules it worked for like 30 seconds, i could access all the shared folders instantly, then, after some time, i clicked on my pc in the network tab again and it gave me the error again, without changing A N Y T H I N G. Now my Desktop shows on the laptop but it cannot access it, Desktop still cannot see the laptop, and it still boggles my mind that the desktop cannot access its own shared folder.