Question Windows 10 can't be installed on new build ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Just a few more thoughts....

Since you have another drive (SSD) with Windows which is booting, do you see EFI partition created by Windows 10 installer on NVMe drive, when booted from that other SSD? There are DISKPART commands to mount EFI partition.

What if you create an EFI partition on NVMe drive (there are DISKPART Commands for that) mount it and push https://github.com/pbatard/UEFI-Shell/releases shellx64.efi renamed as bootx64.efi at \EFI\Boot\ folder? Will UEFI fallback to this shell efi and boot to shell prompt?

Do you have another PC to test that M.2 in and see if it does the same exact refusal to boot.

I found a page that says if your M.2 is not being pick up by windows is to change in the BIOS to IDE. Yeah I know WHAT? but I guess it is another fix out there that people do to get up and running.

On the link go to step # 4 where that IDE setting is being used.

#Symptom 2. M.2 Is Not Recognized as Boot Drive​

https://www.easeus.com/resource/m2-not-recognized.html

There is also a reddit page that almost mimics your issue.

I feel you frustration.

Do you have a spare SSD or just for the sake of sanity and old mechanical hard drive to just see IF Windows can be installed to that motherboard at all?

Last edited:
Now if i may ask, can this possibly be a hardware problem of my motherboard or my M2 even though I doubt the motherboard is bad since the old sata with windows already installed on it works.
But I will try to return these two ASAP if im not able to find a solution
You're doing a lot of random nonsense.
  1. Disable Fast boot in BIOS,
  2. Disable Secure boot in BIOS (CSM being enabled usually disables Secure Boot),
  3. Make sure SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (not RAID, not Intel RST (on Intel boards)),
  4. Have only single drive connected, while installing windows,
  5. Clean OS drive before installing windows onto it using diskpart clean method (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).
  6. Install windows.
If windows was installed in UEFI mode, set Windows Boot Manager as first boot option in Boot Priority settings.

If still doesn't boot, then:
Show screenshot with Boot Priority settings

Boot from windows installation media execute following and show command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk

Jun 30, 2024
Do you have another PC to test that M.2 in and see if it does the same exact refusal to boot.

I found a page that says if your M.2 is not being pick up by windows is to change in the BIOS to IDE. Yeah I know WHAT? but I guess it is another fix out there that people do to get up and running.

On the link go to step # 4 where that IDE setting is being used.

#Symptom 2. M.2 Is Not Recognized as Boot Drive​

https://www.easeus.com/resource/m2-not-recognized.html

There is also a reddit page that almost mimics your issue.

I feel you frustration.

Do you have a spare SSD or just for the sake of sanity and old mechanical hard drive to just see IF Windows can be installed to that motherboard at all?
i called one of the best tech guys in my state, he is a know pc builder and problem solver here even he couldnt do anything after working on it for two hours im actually done, just wasted money for a brick

USAFRet

Titan
i called one of the best tech guys in my state, he is a know pc builder and problem solver here even he couldnt do anything after working on it for two hours im actually done, just wasted money for a brick
Unless there is a discovered hardware fault, you're doing something wrong.

And any 'fault' would be one single component. Not the whole thing.

Jun 30, 2024
You're doing a lot of random nonsense.
  1. Disable Fast boot in BIOS,
  2. Disable Secure boot in BIOS (CSM being enabled usually disables Secure Boot),
  3. Make sure SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (not RAID, not Intel RST (on Intel boards)),
  4. Have only single drive connected, while installing windows,
  5. Clean OS drive before installing windows onto it using diskpart clean method (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).
  6. Install windows.
If windows was installed in UEFI mode, set Windows Boot Manager as first boot option in Boot Priority settings.

If still doesn't boot, then:
Show screenshot with Boot Priority settings

Boot from windows installation media execute following and show command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
thats what the technician tried, he did that step by step and still not solved, look i know it may sound absurd but he really did those i was standing there and watching him

Jun 30, 2024
Unless there is a discovered hardware fault, you're doing something wrong.

And any 'fault' would be one single component. Not the whole thing.
he firstly supected the ram but it was not the problem, then did cmos, then doubted the motherboard then bios version then did dcs off and secure boot of (windows 10) and still nothing, told me to get the pc to his shop tomorrow, as unreal it might seem it bad... very veryy bad

Jun 30, 2024
What is DCS ?
i meant csm sorry, since i called tech guy to my home he told me to bring my pc to his shop so he can swap parts once at a time and detect which one is faulty if its a hardware fault, dude couldnt make a solution only from software side so is suspecting that its 90% a hardware fault

Jun 14, 2024
If you are unable to install Windows 10 on a new build, please ensure your hardware meets the minimum requirements, check for BIOS updates and correct boot settings, verify the integrity of your installation media, consider using a different USB port, and ensure all components are properly connected and compatible with Windows 10.

Jun 30, 2024
It's not a hardware problem. LOL

Those are not proper commands for fixing bootloader.
Issued a return or replacement for both products, send the whole pc to retailer, from the store return issues on my user it seems that they changed the motherboard for faulty and and the ssd just for the inconvience and the trouble i had to go, will go check it out as soon as they call me
So i was right about it being a hardware error iguess