Windows 10 Clean Installation Taking Forever

omeadk

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hey guys, I upgraded from Windows 7 about a week ago and the process took roughly 5 hours. I have about 250gb of stuff on my PC and the first 1/3 of the upgrade is what took the bulk of the time to transfer all the files. Either way, I thought 5 hours was quite a long time considering I have a i7-4770k and an SSD.

Tonight, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 because I've had some nagging registry issues (and frankly performance issues) that I could never find a solution for and couldn't upgrade to the newest nvidia drivers (which has been a problem for a couple of months) so that triggered me to finally do a clean install. It has currently been 8 hours of "resetting this PC" and its only at 77%. This can't be normal right? From what I've read it generally just takes an hour or two to do clean installs, and the same can be said for upgrading.

How long has it taken others to do these upgrades and/or clean installs? If mine is so slow, what could the problem be?

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I agree this is not normal but I would just leave it until it completes or you could have some major problems. I cancelled an installation the other day thinking it would revert back to the previous installation but it didn't and the pc was unbootable. Luckily I had made an image and just restored that.

omeadk

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
It actually JUST finished so the entire process took roughly 9 hours. Right now theres nothing on my PC but its running VERY slowly. Took about 10 minutes for Microsoft Edge to load up, and still not running 100% smoothly.

omeadk

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
My PC is basically unresponsive at this point. Having a hard time even opening my google chrome download, which is the first thing I attempted to do.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Obviously this is not normal, which makes me think you may have a hardware problem. I would check your CPU temperature using core temp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Can also check your memory with http://www.memtest.org/