Question Windows 10: Cutting Down on Temp Files

Apr 1, 2019
Does anyone have insight onto how to cut down on Win10 creating so many temp files?

I performed the regular searches but all I've found is solutions on how to clean up the files but no explanation or solution on how to address the issue itself. Approximately every 3 days I'm deleting over 1 gig of temp files which I find a little extreme and unnecessary wear and tear especially for an SSD.

Thx

USAFRet

Titan
Does anyone have insight onto how to cut down on Win10 creating so many temp files?

I performed the regular searches but all I've found is solutions on how to clean up the files but no explanation or solution on how to address the issue itself. Approximately every 3 days I'm deleting over 1 gig of temp files which I find a little extreme and unnecessary wear and tear especially for an SSD.

Thx
A lot of 'temp files' are simply from browsing the web.
300MB per day is trivial, and not a strain on the SSD lifespan.

And, deleting them actually increases write cycles on the SSD.

Go to a website, and some of that data is saved in the temp folder.
Go there again, and that data is read from the temp file.
If you delete those temp files, they simply get downloaded and written to the SSD again.

Apr 1, 2019
tmp create by apps?

No, these are system temp files. After they're cleaned they are categorized by what software generated the files. Chrome is a fairly large culprit as well but the files I'm referring to are generated solely by Windows 10. I'll post a screen shot next time I run the cleaners. As of this post they've just been wiped an hour ago.

Apr 1, 2019
Judging how I specified the files were created by windows but the responses immediately jumped to temp files from surfing the web I doubt we'll be getting anywhere and I'll move on but for reference here's the amount created from my last post less than 24 hours ago:

https://ibb.co/BG0L2q6

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I will simply mention something that has been mentioned, time and time again, on both TH and elsewhere: It really is a waste of energy to worry about the "wear and tear" on an SSD unless it's a very old one.

Even on machines with huge amounts of I/O activity, these things will now probably outlast me (and I'm a bit over 55). They'll almost certainly outlive the utility of the actual computing hardware in which they're currently being installed.