Windows 10 Deactivate Help !

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello ,
I got a laptop with Windows 10 installed (not original). So I bought a windows 10 Pro Key and I want to make a clean install . Is there anyway to deactivate my current "cracked key" , or there is no reason to do that ? Also , will this pirated software affect my laptop , after the format ? I read an article about Windows which said that they key that you enter in order to activate windows will be combined with the motherboard that you are using . Also , will any malware stay after the clean install ?

Solution
* if you dont have the installer with you download from the site below and use a usb drive/dvd. back up your data to another drive prior the install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
* boot to your USB/DVD installer
* delete all partitions (any malware or anything everything will be gone forever)
* input your new key
* sign with microsoft account. (this will auto link your hardware and your new license to this account)
* go to your settings (press winkey+i). update & security. activation. to confirm "this digital license is linked to this account"
* you can opt to sign with your local account instead if you dont use Windows Store

you can visit this site below to confirm your device and license with your...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Your key will be connected to your Microsoft account if you install it with the online login. The thing it does is basically, Microsoft stores a matching encryption key for your motherboard (the trusted platform module). It's stored online as a backup/fail-safe in case your PC gets locked for any number of reasons. That also means, you only have to activate a Windows 10 license once on a PC as it checks with that key the next time you'd do a complete format.
You can replace your key in Windows at any time, I think. Just right click on Start, select "System" and then scroll down to the Change Key part. If you suspect you've got malware on your PC, you should do a full format and reinstall. Search on the forums here how to do that. Maybe even flash and reset your BIOS, even if your manufacturer doesn't have a newer version. You can find your BIOS on the manufacturer's software/support section.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your reply !
If I just do the format with USB (media creation tool) and then install windows I will not have any problems... right ?
Also I can see from this site http://www.thewindowsclub.com/deactivate-uninstall-windows-product-key that I can manually delete my current key .

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
* if you dont have the installer with you download from the site below and use a usb drive/dvd. back up your data to another drive prior the install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
* boot to your USB/DVD installer
* delete all partitions (any malware or anything everything will be gone forever)
* input your new key
* sign with microsoft account. (this will auto link your hardware and your new license to this account)
* go to your settings (press winkey+i). update & security. activation. to confirm "this digital license is linked to this account"
* you can opt to sign with your local account instead if you dont use Windows Store

you can visit this site below to confirm your device and license with your account
https://account.microsoft.com/devices

Solution

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Okay thank you very much for your help !

Colif

Win 11 Master
deactivating a licence does nothing, all it does is deletes it off that PC. It doesn't tell Microsoft anything.

rarely will a virus survive a fresh install. Very limited number of those will infect BIOS but I wouldn't both flashing it before installing.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your reply !

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Yeah, in 99.999999/100 times you should be fine with using a USB to format and reinstall. Ah yeah, removing the key from the registry also makes it ask for a new licence.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Cool !