Question Windows 10 desktop PC "forgets" workgroup after restart/shutdown ?

theonetain

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Hi There. After an extensive search I've come to the end of my rope. So all help will be appreciated.

As the title says I determined this because the desktop PC doesn't show up under "Network" in file explorer, but I also have a windows 10 laptop that always shows up under "Network" in file explorer with no issues. So to be clear, the Laptop shows up under "Network" in file explorer on both the Laptop and Desktop, but the Desktop does NOT show up under "Network" in file explorer on both the Laptop and Desktop. Both the laptop and desktop are both up to date with windows update. Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3570)

I followed the steps in
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/windows-10-computer-not-showing-up-on-the-network-6-best-fixes/
and after I followed "Flush DNS Cache and Network Reset" and restarted the desktop PC the following sidebar appeared:

846069eb0e23975a0903a0a7cbad38f0.jpg

After I clicked the Yes button the desktop PC immediately appeared under "Network" in file explorer on both the Laptop and Desktop. I thought my problem was solved, but after a restart/shutdown of the Desktop PC it no longer shows up under "Network" in file explorer on both the Laptop and Desktop.

After comparing the desktop and the laptop looking for clues I found the following:

I made sure "Computer Name" under "System Properties" is set correctly. Also before the Network Reset the "Network and Sharing Center" looked like this:

1ee4db7aa3e9a78285ed585cabdeaae0.jpg

4a17168abefc0dd853510cf33665af57.jpg

...active network is set to "Network", NOT "WORKNET1". After "Flush DNS Cache and Network Reset" the "Network and Sharing Center" for the Desktop looks like the Laptop:

6f1f75c339a7323d597e63a58a3c3f2b.jpg

...where the active network is properly set to "WORKNET1". But after a restart/shutdown of the Desktop PC the "Network and Sharing Center" no longer shows the active network as "WORKNET1", but reverts back to "Network". Another odd thing about this is if you look at "Computer Name" under "System Properties", those settings remain the same even after a restart/shutdown of the Desktop PC.

Another thing, the Desktop PC has no issues at all connecting to the internet, it's just a Workgroup issue.

So it appears that "Computer Name" remains in a consistently saved state, but the active network does not. What is/could be the cause of this and how can this be fixed so that the Desktop PC remains in "WORKNET1" as the active network? I would really like to not have to flush and reset the network for the Desktop PC every time I want to connect it to the workgroup.

Thanks.

Do you have a firewall program or AV program that monitors your network connections? I've seen some in the past take such a hold over a network that it reverts any changes made to a network connection if not authorized by the end user or administrator.

Might try disabling any and see if that triggers it.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I've just answered a similar problem immediately above yours in the list and suggested that since SMB 1.0 is now disabled by default in Windows, it makes computer visibility a much more hit and miss affair.

You might overcome this by addressing the other (shared) computer by its TCP/IP v4 address in Windows Explorer, e.g. with \\192.168.1..xxx, where xxx is the final part of the other computer's address.

As a last resort, enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in Control Panel, but this will reduce your network security.

TRENDING THREADS