Question Windows 10 Desktop will not stop refreshing

phil.henderson

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
For a while now, my Windows 10 desktop on my laptop will not stop refreshing. It does so on practically a minutely basis. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, and nothing has worked.

An incomplete list of things I have tried/thought of to fix it:

Ran Reimage Repair - This did absolutely nothing discernible.

Rebooted the computer - I do this daily, and it hasn't helped.

Reinstall the graphics drivers - I can't do this because I can't open the Settings. Every time I try, the window pops up for less than half a second, then closes back down.

Repair installation of Windows - I'm not willing to do this because the desktop reset closes Windows Explorer, and I can't transfer files to my external hard drive because by the time I get to the right spot in the directory, it refreshes again, and I'm too worried I'll lose a bunch of crucial files during the repair install.

I'm sure there are other things I've done, but over time, I've forgotten them. If anyone's got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong, or how I could work around any of these issues that stand in the way of a solution, I'd be delighted to hear them.

First, I would try to start your computer in Safe Mode. Once you boot up there, get yourself logged in and see if the Explorer process crashes and keep resetting the desktop like it is now. If it does not, we can try to repair the problem from here.

Open an administrative PowerShell window and run the command "sfc /scannow". Let it scan the machine and check for any issues with the core Windows system files and try to repair them. If it does, reboot normally and see if the problem still exists. If it does still happen, get back into Safe Mode and see if you can run a repair install of Windows.

If all else fails, you're most likely looking at wiping the drive completely and reinstalling Windows from scratch. If Safe Mode is a viable option, you can use that to copy any files from the drive that you need.