Question Windows 10 does not boot after AMD driver update

Jul 8, 2019
Basically I had a problem initially where AMD settings wont launch and show an error message saying ‘No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly’
and it had also told me to install the AMD driver appropriate for my AMD hardware. So I went ahead and did just that.
(in the device manager, under Display adapters it lists both AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series, and Intel(R) HD Graphics Family if that helps)

Also I forgot to uninstall any previous versions of amd before I had installed the new one
and around 44-ish% in the Express Install, the whole laptop freezes.
10 minutes have passed and I had decided to restart my laptop and the next thing I see during startup is that the device freezes right when the ‘spinny dots’ appear

normal boots don’t work but launching in safe mode works fine

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU@ 1.800GHz 2.39 GHz
dedicated GPU: AND Radeon R7 M265 Series
RAM: 8gb

1. Uninstall the GPU from device manager in safe mode.
img_5adda0ffeb43e.png

1. Reboot.
  2. Try reinstalling the driver

That solved my booting problem!... but not quite
I tried reinstalling the driver afterwards and it resulted in a freeze again.
Any other solutions I could try?
try getting another driver version. where do you download your driver?

If reinstalling different versions of the driver doesn't help, you should try reinstalling windows, but it's a slim chance. Money is on graphics card malfunction which needs repair.

You can opt to get a diagnostics from a repair shop, or disable this video card in Device manger and stay with Intel HD.

Reactions: rhy554
I’m pretty sure they’re downloaded in C:\AMD

I’ll try a different version of the driver in a bit.
Does it matter if the context of the folder C:\AMD were not deleted completely before re-installing the other version?
it doesn't
But I meant where do you get them: from AMD website, or from laptop manufacturer's website. Try any other. Look for the version of the driver you're installing and find an earlier version online, try to install that.

One more proper way to do things: download Display Driver Uninstaller https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Extract/Install the program and run in. Follow the instructions which will automatically reboot into safemode where this program will clean any remains of GPU drivers to provide for a clean installation further. Reinstall the driver after this program does it's job.

Jul 8, 2019
it doesn't
But I meant where do you get them: from AMD website, or from laptop manufacturer's website. Try any other. Look for the version of the driver you're installing and find an earlier version online, try to install that.

I’ve got an Acer Aspire E1-572G if this helps with anything.
I’ve gotten the driver from the AMD website since I really couldn’t find anything that may help in this situation from the manufacturer website

One more proper way to do things: download Display Driver Uninstaller https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Extract/Install the program and run in. Follow the instructions which will automatically reboot into safemode where this program will clean any remains of GPU drivers to provide for a clean installation further. Reinstall the driver after this program does it's job.

That’s what I’ve been doing, along with uninstalling them using the uninstall feature in control manager