[SOLVED] Windows 10 does not shut down, sleep or hibernate!

Feb 19, 2022
As the title suggests, when I press shut down, sleep or hibernate, Windows just closes all applications and logs me out! It's been a couple of months since the problem started. Only restart works, and its the only way to close the machine...

My specs:
FX-6300
16GB 1333 MHz
MSI R7 240 LP
120GB SSD
2TB HDD (with a linux installation in a separate partition)
600W PSU

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm building a new PC in a few days, so it's not a big problem if I can't find a working fix.

Solution
Only restart works, and its the only way to close the machine
you can always just hold down the power button for 3+ seconds and hard shutdown the system.
and while logged out you should be able to use those power functions on the login/out screen.

if power buttons are set to default but not working you either have a Windows customization software overriding this feature or have a corruption within the OS.

if you can't fix it with SFC options then reverting to a previous restore point when things functioned correctly or reinstalling the OS are options.
Only restart works, and its the only way to close the machine
you can always just hold down the power button for 3+ seconds and hard shutdown the system.
and while logged out you should be able to use those power functions on the login/out screen.

if power buttons are set to default but not working you either have a Windows customization software overriding this feature or have a corruption within the OS.

if you can't fix it with SFC options then reverting to a previous restore point when things functioned correctly or reinstalling the OS are options.

Solution
Feb 19, 2022

Basically, when I get logged out and press shut down for the second time, it just gets me back to the logout screen. The only software I could think off is open shell but when I disabled it and uninstalled it the problem was still there. Hard shutting down the system is not the best idea since I might forget a file open and windows usually warns before complete restart. and I don't have a restore point anyways.
Anyway I will be building my pc in a couple of days. There is no problem to leave it like this!

Enable Verbose or Highly Detailed Status Messages in Windows 11/10 (thewindowsclub.com)
make the registry setting and do the shutdown.
--------
make sure that you do not have a media server running on your machine.
----
unplug your network connection to confirm your machine is not streaming to another machine on your network. other pc or xbox
---------
if the machine shuts down with the network disconnected then you have to find the control panel, power management setting the lets streaming services block shutdown and disable it.