Windows 10 fails to update error 0x8024401c

djbickford

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
One of my Windows 10 (64 Bit) will not download any updates. When I go to the Windows Update in Settings it tries to get updates but fails evert time. It comes back with the following---"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024401c)"
When I hit retry it does the same thing. The weird part is that Windows Defender is updating itself just fine---only Windows 10 system updates fail. So I know this PC can connect to the web and get Win Defender updates---Why can't it get System updates??? All my other 6 PC's are working fine with all updates so it can't be my connection. Also, When I try to update the list of Printers while installing a new printer it also fails to download any new printers to the list. Help please. Thx

djbickford

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply. OK, I downloaded it, ran it and it said it found and fixed errors. I then restarted my PC to be sure and ran it again and it said no errors were found---good so far. Then I tried to install my TCP/IP printer(HP LaserJet 4050N) and when it was not in the list I clicked on update and waited. After a few minutes it again failed and said "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update. Please try again later" This is the same result I have been getting before. It just will not download a new list of printers to select from. Several of my other PC's were able to download the new list and it worked fine. Any other suggestions?

Nexus_Crawler

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I am having the same issue... Not a network error and the inability to update is off of a clean install of Win 10. I am just baffled.

Nov 14, 2018
This error code people facing from 2012. Now its coming in windows 10 mostly, when you updating your window. thatswhy i have created a updated solution having different methods. https://www.errorsdoc.com/windows/how-to-fix-windows-10-update-error-code-0x8024401c/