overclocler14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Hello, for some time I've been experiencing an annoying problem with Windows 10 on my ThinkPad T430. It somehow refuses to boot with the "Fast startup" option enabled under the power settings. When I want to power the computer it shows Lenovo logo (normal), then tries to load Windows but instead booting to desktop in seconds like it did previously it just shuts off compeletly without warning and stays that way until I push the power button once more. It then proceeds with system loading normally but it's slow (like restart or without this option selected).

I was able to temporarily fix this by :
powercfg.exe /h off and then powercfg.exe /h on but it doesn't work now.

Also tried fiddling with Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology in BIOS. Sometimes disabling it, booting, restarting, and turning it back on fixed the issue (default is ON and 3 hours - it seems like if i leave it on sleep for more than that it hibernates to save power). Also it says "To use this feature, a special partition on SSD is required" but It worked without problems for quite some time.

If that may matter, I have two SSDs that I sometimes swap out when i need to use Ubuntu (I don't like dual booting). When I first experienced this issue it was only the matter of removing "ubuntu" UEFI entry from boot options and putting "Windows boot manager" on top but now doesn't work. Secure boot is turned off only while using Ubuntu because it gives messages about some passwords that are needed to make drivers work.

Triedsfc /scannow and all available DISM commands to look for broken system files that maybe corrupt the hibernation file but all seems fine.

Any suggestions or do I have reinstall Windows? Maybe finally for me, an update broke something (in general I didn't have any major problems apart from the situation when Windows simply died on me when I tried booting at school (fortunately I had a disk image on my PC) so I was able to restore.
I will post more details if needed.

Solution
(previously ran driver booster (I know all those programs aren't the best option but it once helped me) and it found and updated some drivers with date from 2006 to much more recent
problem with programs like that is they can often install the wrong drivers, such as the first one you mentioned

you can run autoruns to stop it running at startup, see if it helps. If a program needs the driver, it can start it - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

the lenova ones might be okay, they often use older drivers.
newest version of Intel rapid storage on website is only 2015, this might be newer - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

might...

Colif

Win 11 Master
much of the time if fast startup is cause of problems. it means its likely an old driver to blame. Drivers written before win 10 was created don't like how fast startup works. And tend to bug out on startup

Have you gone here and clicked Automatic update? https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...s-laptops/thinkpad-t430/downloads/driver-list

If you have an ssd, you dond't need fast startup. It only really helps on systems that boot off hdd. ssd are fast enough to not need it. I never have it on.

overclocler14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
I've upgraded all drivers from Lenovo Vantage app and the newest BIOS is from 2019. All drivers are (as far as I know) designed for Windows 10. Still I can see a quite significant difference between fast start and without it (couple seconds from pressing power button to desktop vs around 20-25 without fast start). Funny that fast start didn't cause problems on a really old laptop which used win 7 drivers i forcefully installed.

overclocler14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
I took a peek (previously ran driver booster (I know all those programs aren't the best option but it once helped me) and it found and updated some drivers with date from 2006 to much more recent). Sadly the problem persists. Now the only questionable (earlier than 2015) drivers are:
  • TVicPort64.SYS (no idea where it came from but apparantely it's for windows NT/2000/XP what the heck? probably I should get rid of it)
  • LnvHIDHW.sys (2012 - driver for hardware radio switch)
  • LenovoRd.sys ( 2012 - USB Smart Card Reader)
  • risdxc64.sys (2013 - RICOH SD/MMC Driver)
  • iaStorA.sys (2013 - Intel Rapid storage technology driver - x64) - culprit?
Rest seems recent enough

Colif

Win 11 Master
(previously ran driver booster (I know all those programs aren't the best option but it once helped me) and it found and updated some drivers with date from 2006 to much more recent
problem with programs like that is they can often install the wrong drivers, such as the first one you mentioned

you can run autoruns to stop it running at startup, see if it helps. If a program needs the driver, it can start it - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

the lenova ones might be okay, they often use older drivers.
newest version of Intel rapid storage on website is only 2015, this might be newer - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

might help your boot times too

Solution

overclocler14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
So it turns out that this TVicPort64.SYS was necessary for TPFancontrol software that I use because it gave me an IO port error after I deleted the driver. So I reinstalled it. Also found advice to put physical drive on top of the boot list. I tried updating Intel Rapid but with no luck - says the platform isn't supported.
Additionaly my hiberfile.sys was quite small (3 gigs when I have 8 GB installed). Out of curiosity i also re-enabled the swapfile (disabled it because of SSD wear and I never use more than maybe 60% of RAM) and lo and behold it works !
Have no idea what was wrong here, maybe this fan driver got corrupted and refused to hibernate properly, but at least my machine is back to 5 second bootup time.

Thanks for advice