[SOLVED] Windows 10 Fresh

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I am buying an 1tb SSD so I can install windows 10 on it. I have a hdd that have windows on it currently. I have a prebuilt and it is really good and its from HP. Do I need my product key or is it stored in the Motherboard like people on reddit said. Also before I Install windows on the ssd do I have to log out of my microsoft account before I start the installation? Do I have to allocate anything before starting?

Solution
So when the cloning process is complete turn my pc off and disconnect the old HDD from power and mobo , then go into bios and change the boot order, then see if it works, then after that reconnect the HDD and use it for what ever? DO I have to allocate the SSD before I start cloning? I apologize for asking so many questions. Its just the fact that I never done nothing like this so I am trying to be safe as possible and actually understand. BTW I am not buying a Sata ssd I am getting a PCIe Nvme M.2
No, you don't have to do anything with the new drive beforehand.

And yes, physically disconnect the old drive before you power up the first time after the clone process.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You don't need the license key
  2. You boot from the Win 10 USB you'll create, so there is logging in
  3. You don't have to do anything special to the new drive before.

You do this install with ONLY the new drive connected. The existing HDD is physically disconnected, SATA data and power cables.

Read through this:

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
You do this install with ONLY the new drive connected. The existing HDD is physically disconnected, SATA data and power cables.

Read through this:
I watched a video and the person in the video had all his drives still connected.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Or, you can consider a clone operation from the old drive to the new.
Everything exactly as it is now, just on the new faster drive.

We can go into detail on that if you wish.
I know about cloning already. But I saw that people was experiencing problems with booting into windows 10 after the clone

USAFRet

Titan
I watched a video and the person in the video had all his drives still connected.
And he did it wrong. A video and person to be ignored in the future.

What happens is...if you leave the old drive (or any second drive) connected, the boot partition ends up on that drive. Not something you choose or can influence.
Even worse if the old drive already has an OS on it.

Then, you'll end up with a dualboot thing. The install on the new drive will simply merge its info into the existing boot partition on the original drive.
Bad and annoying.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Done correctly, its great.
There are many ways to screw it up, though.
I've done it many many times.

It's worth a try.
If it fails, you can always then do the fresh install on the new drive.

What is the make/model/size of the new SSD?
should I download the windows installation media first then try cloning , and if anything goes wrong I can just plug in the flash drive

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
For future reference this is how you obtain your product key

Press Windows key + X.

Click Command Prompt (Admin) or type comand prompt into search

At the command prompt, type: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey.

This will reveal the product key. Volume License Product Key Activation.

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

edit: FYI I have cloned several times and it always works flawlessly

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Since I am getting an crucial SSD should I use the software that they used in their video.

View: https://youtu.be/pQw4E8ecL5c

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Read through this:
I am reading it and it says
"Obviously, if your system has only one internally attached drive, then the need to do that does not apply to you."
What does that mean?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
You can. I've never used it, so that is why it is not mentioned in my steps above.

But the steps above are the same.
At the end of the process, you MUST power off and disconnect the old drive.
So when the cloning process is complete turn my pc off and disconnect the old HDD from power and mobo , then go into bios and change the boot order, then see if it works, then after that reconnect the HDD and use it for what ever? DO I have to allocate the SSD before I start cloning? I apologize for asking so many questions. Its just the fact that I never done nothing like this so I am trying to be safe as possible and actually understand. BTW I am not buying a Sata ssd I am getting a PCIe Nvme M.2

USAFRet

Titan

And yes, physically disconnect the old drive before you power up the first time after the clone process.

Solution

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Ok, It might seem like I am basically repeating myself. So when the ssd arrive at my house, your saying all I have to do is Install it into the motherboard and start cloning, so your saying I don't have to allocate the disk in the create format thing in windows?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Last question. When I clone windows on the ssd will windows still be on the hdd or will it be gone and will I have the windows icon over the ssd instead of the hdd in file explorer under the "This PC" section?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, It might seem like I am basically repeating myself. So when the ssd arrive at my house, your saying all I have to do is Install it into the motherboard and start cloning, so your saying I don't have to allocate the disk in the create format thing in windows?
Correct.

Remember...if this clone thing goes wrong, then you can fall back to the fresh install you were going to do originally.