News Windows 10 gets Copilot as part of mandatory update — turns AI widget into a full-fledged app on the taskbar

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Why do you care about living in a totalitarian state masquerading as a democracy if you've got nothing to hide ?

It is mandatory anyway.
It is only mandatory if you really need it. It is only that my PC is for gaming, afaik co-pilot will not help at all so unless I have a problem with a game or have different results than a similar system I don't want any updates unless strickly necessary. For work it is even more demanding as the PC is literally lock for updates and those are distributed when the company decided to do it and those are mandatory

Reactions: Sluggotg

v2millennium

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2017
Windows 10 21H2 and 22H2 systems will receive the mandatory KB5040427 update, which will pin Microsoft Copilot to their taskbar
I've just installed KB5040427 and nothing happened. Win + C still opens "Sign in to Cortana" dialog. I have Windows 10 22H2.
Microsoft describes this update as:
This update addresses security issues for your Windows operating system

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Remember folks, Windows 11 is so sophisticated that only special PCs with certain processors and TPM were allowed to run it, but Co-Pilot is so basic that it only needs 4GB of ram and a 720p display. That's the power of ✨AI✨

Edit: on a side note, this update could be interpreted as an admission from Microsoft that AI marketing alone is not convincing people to upgrade their machines to Windows 11 in droves, so they are offering it to an OS that is going out of date soon.

Last edited:
So get rid of it like you can in Windows 11, not a big deal...

Screenshot-2024-07-10-200837.png

Reactions: KyaraM and emitfudd

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Microsoft's one weird trick to scam people into installing Windows 11: Just make Windows 10 exactly as awful, slow, ugly, data-tracking, and ad-heavy.
You do realize that Windows 11 has actually displayed a small performance advantage over Windows 10 ever since it launched, right?

Reactions: KyaraM
Jul 11, 2024
Call me cynical but I foresee a microsoft security update in the future to address a vulnerability found in copilot. But hey, it's AI so it's worth it right?

This is how you actually disable it.

Go into Group Policy (gpedit.msc) and disable Copilot by doing the following

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Copilot

Double click on “Turn off Windows Copilot

Select Enabled and then Ok

Restart you machine

Yes this is just so they can grab more data to train their AI's on. It's no different then the ninja enable one-drive they did earlier. People need to realize that "AI all the things" is the new gold rush and everyone wants in on the action. Every software vender is now viewing their user base as a source of training data and grabbing as much as they can.

SJRouge91

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I'm glad I disabled automatic updates, I hate it so much when MS shoves crap like this as "mandatory", for the average user AI is anything but or important for that matter. If only Final Fantasy XIV and Star Trek online ran on linux...:pensive:

Reactions: emitfudd