Question My Windows 10 got deactivated ?

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,

Two years ago after a bios update, my windows got deactivated suggesting I went through a hardware change(which I didn't). I couldn't re-activate it for some reason. I had two windows 7 OEMS(the home variant which I used to upgrade to windows 10) from my previous PC. I entered the generic pro key(so I upgraded to pro) and re-entered the windows 7 oem pro variant key and it got reactivated. So I was using windows 10 pro for the last 2 years.

Now last week I updated my bios again, and yesterday I installed an optional windows update and the "activate windows" prompt appeared at the bottom of the screen.Not sure which of these deactivated windows but I'm guessing the latter. The error is the same, "hardware change." I tried re entering my Pro OEM key, it initially accepts it, but when I click on "activate", after waiting for a while I get the 0x803fa067 error(we can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or a product key).
Now I uninstalled the last update, but it didn't work. I tried the troubleshooter, but after logging into my windows account It doesn't show any devices that can be used to reactivate windows. When I got my account from a browser I can see my desktop there.

I thought about downgrading to windows home and retrying to enter my windows 7 oem key but I guess I'll have to do a clean install and it's doubtful if it'll work or not.
Microsoft support opened a ticket but they haven't assigned an agent and contacted me yet.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
By the looks of it, you're looking towards new Win license. Preferably retail version.

Win OEM versions, while cheaper than retail versions, have several clauses to it, which you are supposed to know. These include, but are not limited to:

* not eligible for Microsoft customer support.
OEM versions are meant for System Builders (e.g Dell, HP etc) and if end user uses OEM version of the Win for themselves, they are effectively considered as System Builder and thus, responsible for customer support for their own PC (just like Dell or HP would be responsible, when you buy the system from them and it comes with OEM version).
The System Builder is required to support the software on the original PC.

* OEM license can not be deactivated and transferred to the new PC.
OEM license is meant for single PC and as long as MoBo doesn't change, since the activation is tied to the MoBo itself.
If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM Windows Desktop Operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and new operating system software is required.

Source of quotes: "OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions". You can find and download the OEM software licensing terms from the internet.
Direct link: https://download.microsoft.com/down.../oemsoftwarelicensingrulesandrestrictions.pdf

E.g both of my desktops also use Win7 Pro OEM versions, that i've upgraded to Win10 Pro as of now. And i'm well aware of the OEM terms, the OEM version brings with it. But i have not updated MoBo BIOS on either of the two PCs. Since that can deactivate OEM license.

So, if you want to be eligible to Microsoft customer support, and also deactivate, (transfer) and activate Win license (tied to your Microsoft account) - buy a retail version of the OS.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
By the looks of it, you're looking towards new Win license. Preferably retail version.

Win OEM versions, while cheaper than retail versions, have several clauses to it, which you are supposed to know. These include, but are not limited to:

* not eligible for Microsoft customer support.
OEM versions are meant for System Builders (e.g Dell, HP etc) and if end user uses OEM version of the Win for themselves, they are effectively considered as System Builder and thus, responsible for customer support for their own PC (just like Dell or HP would be responsible, when you buy the system from them and it comes with OEM version).

* OEM license can not be deactivated and transferred to the new PC.
OEM license is meant for single PC and as long as MoBo doesn't change, since the activation is tied to the MoBo itself.

Source of quotes: "OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions". You can find and download the OEM software licensing terms from the internet.
Direct link: https://download.microsoft.com/down.../oemsoftwarelicensingrulesandrestrictions.pdf

E.g both of my desktops also use Win7 Pro OEM versions, that i've upgraded to Win10 Pro as of now. And i'm well aware of the OEM terms, the OEM version brings with it. But i have not updated MoBo BIOS on either of the two PCs. Since that can deactivate OEM license.

So, if you want to be eligible to Microsoft customer support, and also deactivate, (transfer) and activate Win license (tied to your Microsoft account) - buy a retail version of the OS.
I have activated this cd key on 3 different mobos so far. 2012-2017(was bought with that one) 2017-2022 and 2022-now
It became a problem in late 2022 when I did a bios update. I was somehow able to reactivate it. And then it became a problem now.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have activated this cd key on 3 different mobos so far. 2012-2017(was bought with that one) 2017-2022 and 2022-now
It became a problem in late 2022 when I did a bios update. I was somehow able to reactivate it. And then it became a problem now.
OEM key only activates once, in a single build. Once that has been done, same key can not be used to activate OEM version on a different machine.

I was somehow able to reactivate it.
Either do the "somehow" shenanigan again or when out of luck, buy a new copy of Win, with legit key.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

Two years ago after a bios update, my windows got deactivated suggesting I went through a hardware change(which I didn't). I couldn't re-activate it for some reason. I had two windows 7 OEMS(the home variant which I used to upgrade to windows 10) from my previous PC. I entered the generic pro key(so I upgraded to pro) and re-entered the windows 7 oem pro variant key and it got reactivated. So I was using windows 10 pro for the last 2 years.

Now last week I updated my bios again, and yesterday I installed an optional windows update and the "activate windows" prompt appeared at the bottom of the screen.Not sure which of these deactivated windows but I'm guessing the latter. The error is the same, "hardware change." I tried re entering my Pro OEM key, it initially accepts it, but when I click on "activate", after waiting for a while I get the 0x803fa067 error(we can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or a product key).
Now I uninstalled the last update, but it didn't work. I tried the troubleshooter, but after logging into my windows account It doesn't show any devices that can be used to reactivate windows. When I got my account from a browser I can see my desktop there.

I thought about downgrading to windows home and retrying to enter my windows 7 oem key but I guess I'll have to do a clean install and it's doubtful if it'll work or not.
Microsoft support opened a ticket but they haven't assigned an agent and contacted me yet.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/15...ws-activation-issues-windows-7-8-upgrade-keys

Reactions: Aeacus

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OEM key only activates once, in a single build. Once that has been done, same key can not be used to activate OEM version on a different machine.

Either do the "somehow" shenanigan again or when out of luck, buy a new copy of Win, with legit key.
Remember Darkbreeze had the same thing happen, contacted support and they told him he was just out of luck.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Oh this might explain it. Typical microsoft scumbag fashion. They probably wanna sell windows 11 to old customers.
Yes all about the money like all companies. We had a retired mod on this site the same thing happened to.
He contacted MS support and was told since going from 7/8.1 to 10 is no longer allowed he was just out of luck.
To the best of my knowledge you can go back and forth from 10 and 11 for free.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
contacted support and they told him he was just out of luck.
Well, makes sense. Since OEM key is meant to be one time activation only, given that the MoBo doesn't change. Exploiting a loophole (knowingly or unknowingly) has it's risks.

Best to buy retail version of OS. Activate it and connect it to the MS account. Then, when build changes, deactivate it from MS account, so that you can use the same key with new machine again.

Yes all about the money like all companies.
It's not like there aren't any other options. Last i checked, bulk of GNU/Linux distros are $/£/€ 0.

But if one wants to use exclusive features found only on Win, one should also pay for it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well, makes sense. Since OEM key is meant to be one time activation only, given that the MoBo doesn't change. Exploiting a loophole (knowingly or unknowingly) has it's risks.

Best to buy retail version of OS. Activate it and connect it to the MS account. Then, when build changes, deactivate it from MS account, so that you can use the same key with new machine again.

It's not like there aren't any other options. Last i checked, bulk of GNU/Linux distros are $/£/€ 0.

But if one wants to use exclusive features found only on Win, one should also pay for it.
Don't matter OEM or retail they stopped the free upgrade.

EDIT But yes always buy retail version.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Assuming this WIn 10 is linked to an MS account, a reinstall of your Win 10 should work and activate OK.
Haha, no. I've only run local only. I'd be pretty disappointed if they wouldn't allow it because this PC still runs perfectly fine. I don't know if MS realizes how chintzy this would look taking back a 10 year old upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan
Haha, no. I've only run local only. I'd be pretty disappointed if they wouldn't allow it because this PC still runs perfectly fine. I don't know if MS realizes how chintzy this would look taking back a 10 year old upgrade.
You can have it both linked to a Microsoft account, AND run the system with a local account.

I do.

I log in with the MS account very, very rarely. Like maybe 0 times this year so far.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
You can have it both linked to a Microsoft account, AND run the system with a local account.

I do.

I log in with the MS account very, very rarely. Like maybe 0 times this year so far.
I've shunned the cloud as much as humanly possible, so I don't even have that. Oh well. I know I'll be forced to make a decision soon because 2025 is the cut off date for W10.