Question Windows 10 has higher CPU usage than window 7

Plssineedanswers

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
I have a AMD A10 5800k and I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 but I discovered that I have more CPU usage on windows 10 than 7 even I optimized it and fix everything I could that's why I have less FPS on games on windows 10. Is this because of my cpu?

I have a AMD A10 5800k and I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 but I discovered that I have more CPU usage on windows 10 than 7 even I optimized it and fix everything I could that's why I have less FPS on games on windows 10. Is this because of my cpu?
Win10 is doubtless running a lot more background apps doing things like virus checking (Windows Defender), drive indexing for Cortana searchs, frequent checks for updates. And of course there is it's infamous telemetry stream that's always active recording, storing and keeping Microsoft updated on various system performance parameters and useage. All anonymously, of course.

So all that means Win10 doubtless has more 'overhead' but Game Mode, introduced early on after it's release, was supposed to take care of making those things stop taking cycles when it detects a game is running. Search for that setting applet in the Cortana search box and make sure it's turned on. Still, I wonder if with the onslaught of newer high performance and high core count CPU's Microsoft might not be so concerned about its functionality as before.

Also, if you've only recently upgraded to it I suspect your system is still updating itself so go into the Updates app and manually force updates and let it completely install all of them. Once all updates are posted go into Disk Cleanup (type it in the Cortana search box) and run a complete cleanup on the System drive (usually C: ) and be sure to include System Files.

Once that's done, open a command prompt with admin rights and run "SFC /scannow" and let it fix all system file errors it might find.

Once all that's done, check for whatever's running in the system tray. If you've installed motherboard utilities from the mfr. they are often much more of a drag on performance than they're worth. Be sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date (clean install with DDU if necessary) and you should be about as good as it will get.

Last edited: